View topic - Pipestone River - July 1 to 7, 2010

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 8:12 pm 

We had an awesome experience paddling the Pipestone River, despite un-seasonably low water conditions and blistering hot weather.

The trip report contains photos and video, so broadband internet connections are required to view. It is also a little bit lengthy, so grab a beverage and sit back and enjoy the show.

http://www.kokanie.ca/trip-reports

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 10:10 pm 

I'm way behind posting links to all these TRs.
Please bear with me and continue to "bring 'em on" (who said 'dat?).

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 8:36 am 

Thanks turtl,

I enjoyed your report and the presentation.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 12:53 pm 

excellent presentation..great canoeing..reminds of the good old days at whitewater lake and best island. the pipestone is gorgeous! thank you for the wilderness treat. michael b. camp
fremont, nebraska

i have been a member since october 8, 2008 and only missed five days during that time.  however, my log in data is never accurate. not sure why...but my password is secure already as far as i'm concerned. if i need to change email mr i don't why i do...its 10-03-13 i am concerned my info says 2 yrs and 2 mos. on this site when I've been here since 10/08/2008.

I've expressed this before with no compliance.....HELP1

PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 3:58 pm 

kingfisher, allan, and lynnmarshall:

glad you enjoyed the trip report. We had a great journey, which became quite interesting when we got chased by the forest fire.

appreciate the comments,

Ken

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 11:29 am 

I finally had a chance to look at your pictures Ken; I am really pumped up now to go. We are leaving Saturday morning for the Pipestone. Water is up I hope not to high to create a problem for us. Your pictures /movie presentation looks really nice, I need to put something like that together for my trips. I also want to thank you and “worth” for the maps and info you provided me with. I let you know how we did when we get back.

Leo 

Last edited by simonbee on July 29th, 2010, 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 6:51 pm 

simonbee, you'll be good with those water levels as captured by the Karl Lake Hydrometric Monitoring Station

Wastayanipi Lake may present some problems if the wind gets strong from the Northwest when you get there. I'm not sure how the fetch might be at the lower part of the lake with heavy northwesterlies.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 11:43 pm 

Hello turtl: Great report! Amazing photos, especially of the moose, the rainbow, the fish and the forest fire. Great video. Great work canoeing the rapids. Good selection of music as well. Sounds like you have really good crew to trip with. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do the report. How were the bugs?

Take care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2010, 10:15 am 

Cousin Pete,

thanks for the comments. The crew is an awesome group to trip with, that is for certain.

This year the bugs weren't all that bad, and I can say I've experienced worse. Likely because of the dry spring, there just wasn't the same hatch conditions. A couple of times needed to use the bug dope, and nightly wore my bugshirt, but on the whole the bugs weren't too bad.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 6:55 pm 

I spent some time updating my website to improve the way information is disseminated.

The Pipestone River Canoe Trip Report has been updated and now includes links to the maps, GPS Waypoints and other useful information for those that may have interest in this route.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 3:14 pm 

Not many better reports than this one.
Wish I could do so well.
Link should be posted in Route Information in a day or so.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 7:14 pm 

Thanks for the post. It brings back fond memories. I paddled the Pipestone to Wunnumin a few years back. The Pipestone was flooded at the time. I recognize some of your photos but many I do not. How easy was it finding known camsites? I suspect many where under water when we passed through.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 8:33 pm 

I've really got to watch this show - partly because the Pipestone at Pickle Lk Rd was the put-in for my first big wilderness trip back in '85 (a 6-week with Camp Stephens), but mostly to see if the moose, the rainbow, the fish & the forest fire are all in the same shot!!

Pat.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 9:21 pm 

Hi Worth,
We ran the Pipestone a few weeks after ” turtl”. We also had high water but i believe not as high as when you ran it. We used some of your maps and trip report as well as some valuable pointers from turtl. We did the same trip as you did. We stayed at some of camp sites you stayed while others where completely overgrown. Your name came up in many times in our discussions. We did portage at the rapid you swam. I understand why you opted to run it was the worst portage of the trip. One of our members even got lost amongst the fallen trees. The camp site near the rapid with the cross (in memory of a native that lost his life there) was all overgrown. We ended out bushwalking a site nearby. The fishing at this rapid was the best I have ever experienced. We caught one walleye after the other and practice catch and release for hours. We actually ran this rapid. The last major rapid before Wunnumin, the one you guys split in two groups; we fallow your advice and went straight to the portage. It was tempting to go for it but after the portage we paddles over to take a look and we were glad we did not attempt it had a narrow section that was solid C3-4.
It was great trip, we allocated 14 days for the trip but we ended out doing it in 11 days with two layover days.

Leo 

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 6:16 pm 

Quote:
We did portage at the rapid you swam. I understand why you opted to run it was the worst portage of the trip.

I feel infamous now! I fondly remember that swim and have to laugh at our stupidity. Thanks, for giving me a hard laugh. It was a memorable trip.