It is currently March 18th, 2019, 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 5:04 pm 

I was just reading about the route in my Backroads Mapbook, have to say it looks interesting. What are the portages like? I'm guessing way too overgrown for carts. How long did it take you?

PostPosted: May 16th, 2015, 11:44 pm 

Interesting indeed!

We've paddled the section from Little Andrews Bay to Eutsuk Lake and explored the west side of Eutsuk. It was 50kms from the launch to the portage.

There is only one portage on the whole route. (excluding Redfern rapids if needed)
The portage is about .5kms of very slight up and over. It actually has rail tracks down for portaging large powerboats on a rail trolley. Your cart would work great on this one.

The big danger on the north and west lakes is the big and cold water, ugly landing conditions, and very few pullouts. There are a gazillion deadheads everywhere out there.

There are guides that can transport you part way or else you could have them as your emergency extraction if needed. I use Nick from Lakes District Air myself.
Vantine Guiding would be another great option.

Let me know if you need anything else.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2016, 12:01 pm 

We just got back. Paddled 325 km from Little Andrews Bay on Ootsa Lake back to Little Andrews Bay. Traveled west onOotsa, earth on Eutsuk. Great trip. Portage trail around Redfern Rapids is a hiking trail, and has a bit of a confusing starting point. We tried from "Redfern Lodge" a decrepit place with a good trail (and the one on the map in Back roads) but it is actually the wrong trail. May have been correct at one time. Real trail is around the corner starting from Tetachuk Lodge. It is a hiking trail, not a portage trail! Made it through though but wheels are no good, had to carry everything. We were on the water by 5am to avoid winds every day Terrific trip. Beautiful scenery on the southern leg if it but enjoyed the whole thing.