It is currently April 24th, 2019, 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: McCrae Lake with Scouts
PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 1:42 pm 

I am planning a weekend (Sat/Sun) at McCrae Lake with my Scout troop in late May. This is a first time canoe trip for most of these Scouts.
I'm looking for some advice from the knowledgeable members here:
1) recommendations on where on the lake there are campsites would suit a large-ish group (10 youth 5 leaders)
2) if this area has improved from some of the negative reports I've read on the forums here. I wouldn't want to take youth into an area that would diminish the experience for them.
Thanks for any suggestions and insight. :D

Paddle On!

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 3:37 pm 

Sorry no help with that lake - is it the one I find on Georgian Bay when I query google maps?

Just saying "hi" from a fellow Scouter eager to get into our Scout canoes!

One thing I will ask is what is the probability the water at that time of year will be warm enough? The first canoe trip I inherited from my predecessors was always last weekend of May but I moved it back a week into June (this year 2 weeks due to a schedule conflict) because 1 year the water was so cold it would have been very dangerous in case of capsize. We could not even go swimming that year it was so cold.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 11:29 am 

Prospector16, yes, it is that one . It's west of Hwy 400 about 15 min. north of Six Mile Lake PP. One short portage around rapids/snowmobile bridge from MacDonald to get into McCrae.
As this spring is so slow to get started, water temp. is a very valid question and one that our leadership group will need to discuss . We would never do anything that could endanger anyone!
Perhaps we will end up doing a base camp with canoe day trip, we'll see.

Thanks for pointing this out! Always thinking - just like any good Scouter!

Paddle On!

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 9:38 pm 

Here's a map of McCrae Lake with a few of the regularly used campsites marked in yellow & some larger group campsites marked in blue.

It will likely be busy on the weekend if the weather is nice, so the earlier you can get there the better chance you'll have of securing a choice campsite, but there's lots of campsites around the lake so there's usually room for everybody.

The Jumping Cliffs are fun if the water's warm enough & the view from the Eagle's Nest scenic lookout atop Crow's Cliff is just spectacular.

Lots of great photos & more info on the McCrae Lake Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/McCraeLake

Attachment:
Hike Map 21b.png
Hike Map 21b.png [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 759 times ]

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 8:06 am 

campergirl wrote:
I am planning a weekend (Sat/Sun) at McCrae Lake with my Scout troop in late May. This is a first time canoe trip for most of these Scouts.
I'm looking for some advice from the knowledgeable members here:
1) recommendations on where on the lake there are campsites would suit a large-ish group (10 youth 5 leaders)
2) if this area has improved from some of the negative reports I've read on the forums here. I wouldn't want to take youth into an area that would diminish the experience for them.
Thanks for any suggestions and insight. :D

I have taken Scouts to McCrae several times, usually in June.

Our favourite camp site was on the east side of the north point of the big island.

We usually had a couple of leaders go in a day or two early to snag the campsite and clean up any mess. The lake is frequented by yahoos.

The lake is great for novices to explore, especially the cliff to the south and the chute to the west. It is worth going through the culvert and up the McDonald River for a way to the waterfall. We usually did this on our way out.

Bugs were ok in daytime, but fierce at night. There are zebra mussels, so water shoes are a must for swimming.

A few years ago, I noticed comments about bears in the area. I will post a separate message in this forum to ask about current conditions.

I hope you go. Have Fun!

Don

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 8:13 am 

Joe Heuer wrote:
Here's a map of McCrae Lake with a few of the regularly used campsites marked in yellow & some larger group campsites marked in blue.

It will likely be busy on the weekend if the weather is nice, so the earlier you can get there the better chance you'll have of securing a choice campsite, but there's lots of campsites around the lake so there's usually room for everybody.

The Jumping Cliffs are fun if the water's warm enough & the view from the Eagle's Nest scenic lookout atop Crow's Cliff is just spectacular.

Lots of great photos & more info on the McCrae Lake Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/McCraeLake

Attachment:
Hike Map 21b.png

That's a great map. Many thanks for providing it.

Has anyone hiked the trail to the chute? Would it do for Scouts?

Don

PostPosted: May 21st, 2018, 11:05 am 

The McCrae Lake Conservation Trail is hilly & muddy in places, but not exceedingly difficult for the average hiker. The trail from the parking lot to the Crow's Cliff / Eagle's Nest scenic lookout is extremely well marked with yellow placards & stone cairns & will take about 1.5 hours to get there at a relaxing pace.

The trail from Eagle's Nest to the McCrae Lake rapids which flow down into Georgian Bay is fairly well marked & will take an additional 1.5 hours to reach. A long day hike from the parking lot to the McCrae Lake rapids & back (~6 hours total) would be a rewarding challenge for a troop of Scouts. Several lakeside campsites at the south & west ends of McCrae Lake are also accessible from the trail if you're looking for an easy overnighter instead.

The trail continues past the rapids on the north side of McCrae Lake in a 6+ hour loop ending back at the McCrae Lake bridge & waterfalls. The full loop around the lake can be completed in 1 day by an experienced hiker familiar with the trail, but is definitely not recommended for first timers looking for an easy day hike. Crossing the rapids in the spring can be treacherous & may require some intermediate rope skills to accomplish safely. Reduced flow rates later in the season make crossing the rapids much easier in summer & fall.

Attachments:
McCrae Lake Rapids - Early Spring Runoff.png
McCrae Lake Rapids - Early Spring Runoff.png [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 580 times ]
McCrae Lake Rapids - Reduced Flow Makes for Easy Crossing in Late Summer and Fall .jpg
McCrae Lake Rapids - Reduced Flow Makes for Easy Crossing in Late Summer and Fall .jpg [ 235.05 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 11:05 am 

If you are going this week-end be sure to engage the scouts to pick up as there is a planned clean up group going in on Sunday and garbage will be picked up on Sunday only from the main parking lot.

McCrea is in good shape, thunderboxes have been added over the years..the only really big challenge is firewood.
I would bring a bag of wood, its that bad.

Water temps heat up quickly on McCrea, so you might get a swim in..