It is currently February 18th, 2019, 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 10:41 pm 

I'm a somewhat experienced canoer and camper. Last year I asked this board where to go in September for the labour day long weekend, as it was a last-minute decision, a lot of sites were taken, and I had particular requirements (novice group). We decided on going to North Tea East from access point 1, and boy was it a disastrous trip! It was the weekend where we had this unbelievable storm that just poured and thundered all day and night. On the way back, my brother's canoe and some other canoes also flipped--it's one thing flipping on a small lake or next to the shore, and a completely different thing flipping in the middle of a lake as big as North Tea. The group was also very unprepared as most of them didn't take my advice on what to bring (one girl even brought a f*%&*@! umbrella).

Anyways, this year I have more time to prepare for it. But my favourite spot, which is lake OSA, is already taken pretty much all the way until the end of September. So, here I am, back to the suggestion board! I have friends and relatives coming from abroad (UK, Finland, etc.), so have to impress them with Canada!

My requirements:
* Distance: no more than a 3.5 hour drive from Toronto. Can't carry any canoes on my car, so launch site has to be near an outfitter.
* Length of canoe trip: no more than 6 hours of combined paddling and portaging
* Portages: No more than 2 and under 500m each, or 3 if they're relatively flat and under 300m.
* Scenery: maybe I'm getting spoiled, but I really want breathtaking views! OSA, North Tea Lakes, that kind of stuff. Lots of trees. Again, need to impress the guests (and myself).
* Privacy: I was concerned that North Tea wouldn't be too private, but I was wrong. Loved it in that sense. I guess when the lake is that big, it doesn't really matter (the crappy weather may have helped as well). We did camp near the trail at the northeast of North Tea East, so every two or three hours a canoe would come by and park near us to explore the trail, but that was fine with us. So I do want privacy, but it doesn't have to be just me within a km^2.
* Having a beach that faces West (for the sunset) would be nice, but not necessary. Having some rocks that face West would do as well. But need sun at the front or at least somewhere nearby that my group can use. The rest of it can be covered by trees.

All suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 5:22 am 

Killarney. You can either do the park, or, if you are really brave, paddle into Georgian Bay. There is an outfitter there.

If there is no crawling traffic, you can get there in about 3-4 hours.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 8:47 am 

Clydegale Lake - APP
Clear Lake - The Mass

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 1:52 pm 

swimmer_sppe wrote:
Killarney. You can either do the park, or, if you are really brave, paddle into Georgian Bay. There is an outfitter there.

If there is no crawling traffic, you can get there in about 3-4 hours.

Not sure what you mean by brave.
And if I go to Killarney, I would rather go to OSA to be honest. But Killarney lake itself may be nice as well. I've never stopped there and only paddled through, and can't remember how the lake and campsites were.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 3:17 pm 

G-bay can get windy and wavy but the scenery is amazing. Sites like the Fox Islands are IMO, better than in the interior of Killarney. Sweeping views, lots of open rock, beaches, windswept pines.

Killarney Lake is on par with OSA scenery wise. Sites in the Central and NE part are nice. Ruthroy is good too.

French river, if your group is up for a longer paddle (16-20km), out to the bay from Hartley Bay Marina is stellar. Prime campsites out there!

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: April 26th, 2018, 4:11 pm 

I also like O.S.A. and stay there when I can but I've camped on Killarney as well and in some ways it's nicer. You can muck about over a larger area without a portage, from some of the sites (north side) you can hike up the hills directly from the campsite, you can take a longer hike to The Crack or on the portage into three narrows where you can see one of the biggest beaver dams you're likely to ever see.

There are a lot of camps but unless you are at the west end where you pass through on the way to O.S.A. it's not overly crowded and many of the other camps are barely if at in sight of others.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2018, 12:02 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions. Come to think of it, I would say West facing is not actually a high priority. As long as there's somewhere on the site that gets sun decent sun from 11am-5pm and allows us to sit/lie down, that would be great. More important than which way the campsite faces, now that I think of it, is whether it's sufficiently breezy to keep the bugs away. That should certainly be a priority!

Do you know if there are sites on Killarney that get enough breeze?