It is currently April 21st, 2019, 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 17th, 2018, 10:07 am 

As you all know, 2018 was yet another year of fires in Woodland Caribou Park. In 2016 I did a 16 day canoe trip with my 15 y.o. son, the last 3 days ending with a group. We were also thwarted back then by fires, the infamous RED03 fire.

In 2018 we were back for more, but this time it was 2 canoes with 4 of us flying into Adventure Lake and exiting via Onnie Lake 5 days later. After bidding "goodbye" to my buddies, it was time for me to attempt my first solo canoe trip over the next 5-10 days. I lasted 5. :o

To make a long story short on the group trip;
  • Originally we were going to fly into Royd and paddle to Haven via Gammon / Hammerhead / Rostoul but fires prevented this so we shortened it to Adventure to Haven.
  • The flight into Adventure Lake was interesting with the Domain Lake fire clearly showing and other recent burns still smoldering around Hammerhead / Gammon.
  • All portages from Adventure to Haven, Wrist, Mexican Hat and out to Onnie via Optic, Telescope etc. were excellent.
  • Fishing was good but water levels very low especially between MH and Glenn Lake and on the Rostoul River.
  • The camping on Optic was amazing.
  • Our best night was on Glenn with the Milky Way, Northern Lights and Mars putting on quite the show!
  • The weather was more June than August which was good for fires, not for us. :roll:

You can read about the group trip on my website at https://verndewit.com/2018/07/30/woodland-caribou-2018/ - video also available there.

After the rest of the group was picked up at Onnie Lake, I turned around and completed my first solo canoe trip. I learned a lot about myself despite being pretty confident I knew a lot already. :-? My original solo trip plans were also cut way back due to the fires. I was originally going to do a large loop from Onnie to Hatchet, Indian House, back to Royd, Gammon and out via Glenn, Telescope and Onnie, but ended up going as far north as Crystal Lake before turning back and exiting via Upper Hatchet, Embryo and Telescope to Onnie.

Due to several factors I ended up 'only' spending 5 nights solo before ending the trip a bit early, you'll have to read it to find out more.

For more on my solo trip, click to my website here: https://verndewit.com/2018/08/04/woodland-caribou-2018-solo-trip/.

Once again I was humbled by the wilderness of Woodland Caribou Park and re-centered to better deal with normal life back in the concrete jungle of my home town in Calgary, Alberta. Once again I find myself busy planning the next trip already too! :wink:

PostPosted: December 18th, 2018, 6:32 pm 

Nicey done.
Excellent weather, scenery, berries and photo opportunities.
First time I’ve heard of the Paddle Planner website.
Good work on the portage clearing.
You don’t see many pyramid tents on boreal forest canoe trips.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 7:36 am 

Thanks for sharing. Will get to your website later today.

GG.

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2018, 1:58 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
Nicey done.
Excellent weather, scenery, berries and photo opportunities.
First time I’ve heard of the Paddle Planner website.
Good work on the portage clearing.
You don’t see many pyramid tents on boreal forest canoe trips.

Thanks Brian,

That website is amazing, allows for very easy planning with full statistics. As for the pyramid tent, I've been using this one for about 5 years all over the Rockies in summer and winter seasons. It is pretty much the perfect shelter at only 499 grams and very roomy for 1 or 2 people. I wish it wasn't $700 USD though! :o