It is currently December 12th, 2018, 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 6th, 2014, 2:57 pm 

[youtube]Took some time but here´s a short report and some pics from our trip we´ve did in the first 2 weeks in August 2012. Started at the Virgin River, paddled down to Methy and finished in La Loche. Waterlevels and weather were just great as the wildlife we´ve met: 5 moose, 7 bear´s, 1 wolf, deer plus river otters and beaver´s. Met only one fisherman at the Warner River bridge.
Most fun were some nice long boulder runs, most exciting the lower part just upsteam of the Warner River bridge and some places in Simonson Rapids especially at a huge boulder and at the bottom. The main portages were all in good shape and for the Methy we´ve tried out a canoe cart for the first time. Worked good for the first k to the hill but broke some parts over some rugged sections. Up to Rendevous we´ve portaged traditionally anyways and it took us 7 hour´s getting there. Johanna saved the day there as she announced when we are most tired and thirsty that she only drop her pack at the shore of Rendevous Lake next time, and what a pretty site it was to see open water there! Camped for 2 day´s at the sandy beach there and I did some repairs for the cart using spurce and lots of cableties to make the thing bombproof. The tactic then was I was carry the heavy pack some 500m in front, on the return clear the trail of debris and then pull and push the canoe with the other packs by combined forces to the advanced pack. It was a very hot day and we´ve run out of drinks at some point so it was a real delight when we´ve reached "Simpson´s Camp" with the little stream and the lines in Greg Marchildon´s & Sid Robinson´s book "Canoeing the Churchill" came into my mind wich I only can confirm: "Whether you dip a drinking cup or put your face right in, you will not be disappointed"! Took us almost another 11 hour´s to get to Portage Creek so it was about a km per hour to cross Methy Portage. Waterlevels on this side were very low in contrast to the Clearwater River side but many beaverdams helped us to Lac La Loche.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J7hjXEvnSTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or try this: http://youtu.be/J7hjXEvnSTg

Chris

PostPosted: April 6th, 2014, 3:46 pm 

Great video. :clap: Thanks for posting.
Looong portage - congratulations.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2014, 7:22 pm 

Thanks Rappi for posting that Youtube link! I really enjoyed it, and watched both versions on your channel.

The soundtrack was excellent. May I please ask what songs and artists you used for the sound track?

PostPosted: April 6th, 2014, 10:59 pm 

Hoop,

Cajun - Dewey Balfa
Dene - Jay Begaye

PostPosted: April 7th, 2014, 6:14 pm 

Love that hair shirt!
What next, follow Mackenzie?

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: April 7th, 2014, 10:08 pm 

Thanks, another nice report.

-jmc

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 9:49 am 

Allan,
late August head for the Haultain River. Plan to paddle from Mawdsley Lake to the Churchill and then upstream to Knee, Primeau or Dipper Lake. Will have full 2 weeks for the trip.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 12:38 pm 

Great images and memories.
Walking in historical footsteps.

Thanks for sharing and posting!

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 8:31 pm 

Thanks for the great post. Your Clearwater/Methy Portage report brought back some nice memories. A friend who grew up on a trapline in the Clearwater River Valley and I walked the Methy in mid June 17 years ago. It was a very wet year and that proved to be a blessing - we were actually able to float our canoe in quite a few places on the portage.
I note that you're planning a trip down the Haultain. We paddled it in early July from Mawdsley to where it crosses to the west side of the highway. Going later in the summer might turn out to be a slug if we have a dry summer. I think there is still an active water station part way down. We live in Beauval so if you need help with logistics don't hesitate to call.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2014, 4:35 am 

Thank´s for your offer ricksanderson,
will keep an eye on the water survey station. May contact you later this summer, you´ve might have an idea of general waterlevels in your neck of the woods then.
Chris

PostPosted: April 10th, 2014, 12:09 pm 

http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/index_e.html

Use the text search or google map
you'll have to agree to the site conditions

HAULTAIN RIVER ABOVE NORBERT RIVER [SK] (06BD001)