It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 9:07 pm 

About this time last year I was using this site to help plan my trip. I was specifically looking for info on the Craven to Artery portages. You can say I was forewarned. With the cold weather I finally found some time to finish up a trip report.

https://www.hobbydog.net/Canoeing/atikaki_2017.html

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 11:00 pm 

Hi Hobbydog -

Really enjoyed your trip report and photos - they brought back good memories of an area I haven't paddled for a long time. Thanks for posting.

-jmc

PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 11:31 am 

I haven't read the report yet - I'm at work - but the pictures sure tell a great story! Thanks for documenting this so well. I look forward to reading it when I get home.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 4:08 pm 

Enjoyed your report. Beautiful photos, esp. of the sandhill cranes. That's an area high on my list for a return trip. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 8:04 pm 

Great report. A nice mix of text and photos but I thought the imaginary was particularly well done.

Did you know that Wynn’s place was burnt on August the 9th? It was a total loss.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 9:50 pm 

Great report!! I am hoping for some comments from those that that found more mud than water there later in the summer. It turned into an extremely low water year.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 10:04 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
Did you know that Wynn’s place was burnt on August the 9th? It was a total loss.

I did not know that. Sorry to hear that. The place has some character.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2018, 7:02 am 

Great report, and an excellent pictorial representation of your expedition! That's route I have always wanted to try out.

If I may ask, where at Wallace Lake did you leave your car?

PostPosted: January 5th, 2018, 10:12 am 

crowmaster wrote:
Great report, and an excellent pictorial representation of your expedition! That's route I have always wanted to try out.

If I may ask, where at Wallace Lake did you leave your car?

There is a parking lot right by the boat launch that is reserved for back country vehicles.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2018, 10:22 am 

Hobbydog, thanks for taking me on a great little canoe trip for the past hour! Excellent pix and accompanying text - definitely a lure and a how-to for those of us dreaming of next summer's "adventure". Props too for doing it solo - something I haven't done and really can't picture myself doing!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2018, 2:15 pm 

Great report and accompanying photos!

We did the Bloodvein from Wallace a few years ago (via the Three Mothers portages), so it was nice to see some familiar scenery - I think we even camped at the same spot on Craven Lake. If you are ever back up at Artery Lake, make sure to visit the pictographs - they are incredible. We really enjoyed paddling around the lake admiring the art.

I was also happy to see you make it up the Broadleaf - we were there later in the summer and had to turn around not too far out of Leaf Lake due to there being no water at all in the river!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2018, 2:43 pm 

What a great trip! Even considering the lost life jacket, bumps and bruises that's quite a trip to knock off the bucket list. You did a great job documenting it too.

"...I can safely say he was at least 40 inches"

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 7:45 am 

Having done the Wani/Broadleaf a half dozen times I have to say I have never seen the water that low although we had been turned back the past couple of years by low water. The one portage, the crossover, you could just rock hop to get by that when we have always had to paddle across.

The area definitely brought back good memories of all our trips up through there. That beach at the end of the Aiken's portage was under water for us. You most certainly lucked out on the conditions on Aiken's since it is rarely that flat. Very easy to get windbound on that lake.

Thanks for the memories.

Karin and Christy

PS: Last year was the driest on record for Manitoba

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 8:47 am 

I would encourage you to enter this as a trip report here on CCR. In the past I have written my report in ms word and inserted the pictures. I then selected "compress all pictures" after which I saved the report as a PDF file. I then uploaded the pdf as other information in the report. Nice to have this info here for the distant future without links disappearing.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 5:07 pm 

Marten wrote:
I would encourage you to enter this as a trip report here on CCR. In the past I have written my report in ms word and inserted the pictures. I then selected "compress all pictures" after which I saved the report as a PDF file. I then uploaded the pdf as other information in the report. Nice to have this info here for the distant future without links disappearing.

Yes, that was easy enough to do but it won't allow me to upload a PDF or MHT file format.