It is currently February 18th, 2019, 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 5:34 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've been knee deep in maps for a few days now trying to figure out a loop for the first week of July.
We're 6 guys, experienced paddlers usually averaging 25-30km/day for a 6 day trip, max of 35km a day.

I wanted to do Map 4 - Loop 77 (Hawskebury) but its too short and I cant find a decent way to extended it.
We are looking for remoteness, beaches, fishing and so would love Map 4.
Im open to any suggestions, such as combining loops, but would prefer to avoid map 1 and 2 as I have done every loop at least thrice.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 6:13 pm 

The best beach I have ever run into in La Verendrye is on lac Carriere on the nub on the east shore next to a small island. Tons of blue berries too. However it's a group site as I recall but don't recall the min group size allowed. When i stayed there in 1998 we were a group of six and I don't know that we actually met the minimum.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 6:53 pm 

I just took a look in Google Earth. The site is 2/3 to 3/4 way up the lake and the island looks like a finger next to the nub. You can actually see in Google earth that it's a beach. I recall when we were there that on the south side of the site we could walk out 50 - 100 meters almost and were still only wast deep.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 7:03 pm 

Looks like site 35-29 and it is not a group site it is marked for 5 tents

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 23971&z=16

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 7:25 pm 

I was pretty sure it had a minimum group size but it was 20 years ago... :)

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 8:13 pm 

Here are two photos. One is taken after a short walk off shore with the island to my back. Besides the beach on two sides of the site there are camping/tent/cooking areas into the trees.

The other photo shows how far we were able to walk out into the water before it got too deep to talk. It's on the right shore in the first photo. The left shore gets deep fast.

Attachments:
191 Camp site.jpg
191 Camp site.jpg [ 220.23 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
211 beach 4.jpg
211 beach 4.jpg [ 174.79 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 8:29 pm 

It may have been a different type of site 20 year ago. And also I may have transcribed it incorrectly - check a paper map :-)

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 9:54 pm 

Yeah. That’s a great spot. And the meandering stream that puts you into lac carrière is hypnotic.
But I’ve done this loop sooo many times that it’s out. I was even considering combing it with loop 33 and leaving from le domaine, but group is leaning towards C77.

We’re thinking of going north from Barker and into rivière des Outaouais, but theres no map for that section.

Where do I get info about portage lengths and camping spots, other than le domaine?
Steve Boal’s write up is good but doesn’t have locations nor path.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 8:03 am 

A few years ago I put in at a spot where rt 44 crosses the Ottawa River and headed upstream(south) towards Lac Lambert, circuit 70. I headed south towards Lac de la Triple Baie then into Cawasachouane to Chute Henault. I then reversed my way back north. Not a circuit but a trip down Henault and and back up GLV to the 1 mile portage into Lac Cornelier would make it a circuit. When you get back to the south end of c70 go left to Chute Big and downstream to Lac Gaotanaga and continue downstream to put in. I used a topo that I bought at LeDomaine for c70.
http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/for ... -days-solo
I thought c70 was very nice.
When I was there Barker was closed due to vandalism iirc.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 2:53 pm 

What about starting at the beginning of Circuit 70 but instead of going south to Lac Lambert, go north on Lac Granet. At the top of Lac Granet take the river southwest out of the park and then enter the park again just north of Lac Bend. Follow the river south and then east to connect with Curcuit 70 just before the western end of Lac Lambert and then follow the remainder of Circuit 70 to Lac Gaotanga to the same take-out as the put-in?

My old 1989 map shows that it's a real route and many campsites at the time. I have no maps newer than 2002 so I don't know if that route is still maintained or the condition of any old campsites. Could be a real adventure!

I do partly recall doing Circuit 70 in 1993. Strangely I have no recollection of the first half of the circuit. We must have crossed Lac Lambert but the first several days were all rain and for the life of me I just don't even remember starting down the river from the put in and crossing Lac Lambert. I do recall not being able to spot a real campsite our first night and having to camp in the bushes in the rain.

I do recall the second half of the circuit and a great campsite on the island at the northeast end of Lac Gaotanga.

Edit to add. I just found my 1994 map. It was still a real route only 24 years ago!!

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 8:24 pm 

John, that looks like a great spot to camp.