It is currently April 20th, 2019, 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 3:28 pm 

I have not been to Quebec for many years now and am planning a trip to Veredrye in August. I have two weeks and am probably going to be exploring some, in the area of Circuits 77/70 and a bit north I think it is 73. I had planned to put in at Baie Barker. Information at Le Domaine has told me that Baie Barker is not accessible by car now. Truck/4x4 is needed. I only have a car.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a put-in where I can leave a car (2002 Grand Marquis.) I have enjoyed reading all the trip reports for this area. Thank you all very much.

Erica

PostPosted: July 31st, 2018, 5:01 am 

Road conditions vary from year to year depending on quantity of rain, forestry operations and whether there is an outfitter further down the road. The people at Le Domaine are well informed and usually give us the right info.

It has been very hot and dry up here this summer north of Montreal and we therefore have low water levels at the moment so if you plan on navigating small creeks check that out. I am heading to LV, probably 3rd week of August, and will plan my trip according to the water levels at that moment as I prefer small water when travelling solo.

Have a good trip.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: July 31st, 2018, 4:19 pm 

Thank you Gerald. I will definitely check in at Le Domaine before I make a final decision. I would not want to show up there and find no put-ins accessible by regular old car. :-)

PostPosted: August 1st, 2018, 2:36 am 

We did 77 this year from Barker. I have a WRX, my buddy has an A4. The last 20km have to be done slow. Since my "rally" car is modified, with a lower hanging muffler, we switched the food barrel and a bag to the other car. That was enough to make it through.

I have a feeling Le Domaine says its not accessible due to the interruption in the road. There is a fallen bridge right at the end. This is not an issue for a canoe put in, but game over for a boat launch.

PM me if you have any questions regarding the loop. We went north from Barker, and tried to go into Riviere des Outaouais but the current on the rapids are in the opposite direction, with no portages, but modifying the loops is the way to go.

Gabe

PostPosted: August 7th, 2018, 6:06 am 

Thank you, Gabe.

I now have available a Ford F150 and hope that will get me into Barker. If the bridge is out, are you leaving your vehicles at the side of the road?

I was also looking at where the Riviere des Outaouais meets Grand Lac Victoria (after going north from Barker.) So, from your description, at that point, Riviere des Outaouais runs south? From somewhere I got the impression Outaouais runs north?

If I really can't get into Barker, then I am thinking about going north to the access at the end of 441, on the north end of Lac Granet, then going south via 70, onto 77 and back.

Or Robin has put in at the beginning of 70 and then heading south into 77 or possibly west into 73 and Lac Poire.

Erica