It is currently April 18th, 2019, 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Annapolis River
PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 6:06 pm 

Hello,
I am planning a canoe trip down the Annapolis River and would like to break up the last leg from Bridgetown to Annapolis Royal. I have read that it can get quite windy where the river widens and do not necessarily want to push ourselves on a 'relaxing' trip. Has anybody paddled this part of the river? Are there any good/legal places to camp or spend the night along this section?

Thanks for any info!

Post subject: Re: Annapolis River
PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 6:48 pm 

I have no helpful info but your user name is awfully close to another CCR member Voyageur..just the small "v" and the "guer" differentiate it.

For a minute I thought "What's Uncle Phil doing in Nova Scotia?"

There seem to be a couple of canoe clubs in Nova Scotia that might be able to help if you don't get any feedback here.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2013, 7:51 am 

I've paddled the entire Annapolis river, from it's headwaters to Annapolis Royal. You might want to check on the current status of that river in terms of water quality. About ten years ago it was so polluted that many sections had signs recommending that no human water based activities should occur on it.

The nicest stretch, in my opinion, is from Kingston to Lawrencetown. After Bridgetown, the river does indeed widen out, and it becomes more like lake paddling. If you get up early in the morning though, you should be able to avoid the winds. I don't recall any legal places to camp on that stretch, but it's been a while since I've been down.

The upper parts of that river lose water quickly in the summer, particularly the stretch between Berwick and Kingston, and it can become a long drag.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2013, 12:58 pm 

Thanks for the info folks!

I've put in a request for a name change. I don't want to be stepping on anyones toes!

I will have to inquire about the water quality.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 4:18 pm 

Update...
I looked into the water quality. The Clean Annapolis River Project has a detailed report concerning the water quality of the river. I won't try to summarize the report but it is available online for anyone interested. They test the water from time to time at various points along the river. There are signs along the river that are similar to forest fire index signs. The signs get updated as they test, but this is not a daily event.

I think I'll leave the Annapolis River for day trips, but it's staying on my to-do list!