It is currently February 17th, 2019, 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2013, 4:06 pm 

Hey folks,
I would like to know if anyone had any information on leaving your vehicle at some of the Tobeatic access points. I'd like to put in around Sporting Lake Stream, Jake Joli or Fifth Lake Flowage and go on a multi-day trip. I am unsure as to weather or not I can leave my vehicle at any of these areas while away. Am I just better off contacting a shuttle service like those suggested in "Paddling the Tobeatic"?

Thanks for any input!

ps: All the lakes I drove by today were liquid!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 5:02 am 

last year we had hoped to put in at sporting lake stream, or the landing at 5th lake. the shuttle driver had informed us that those areas weren't accessible at that time (not sure if it was washout's, down trees or whatever. we ended up getting dropped off at the dam on 4th lake. there seemed room enough there to leave a vehicle. as for lake joli, i don't have any info on that, we are planning on putting in there this year. i could comment on that when we return.
you mentioned all the lake that you drove by were all liquid. what area were you in?

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 2:13 pm 

I saw your post about ice out. I'm in Halifax, and live towards Peggy's Cove. I haven't been down towards Toby this year but I might head down this weekend to scope things out.
I've been talking to the Protected Areas people and they are helping me figure out who the land owners are, etc. I was reading on Hinterland Outfitters web site that the conditions are poor near Sporting Lake Stream and their tours now launch at the dam.
I may just go with a shuttle service. How was your experience with the shuttle?

Cheers!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 2:32 pm 

that's who we used last year. okay guy, shuttle was not cheap but he seems reliable and got us to were we needed to and parked our vehicle were we needed it to be. we are planning on using him again this year.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 3:36 pm 

We are going on the 15th of next month and I see you are going on the 8th. Be sure to clear the portages for us!
Still trying to decide on leaving from Lake Joli or the Dam. How was the Fifth and Fourth Lake flowage when you were there? Lots of dragging or open water? I'd prefer portages to dragging through marshy reeds.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 4:11 pm 

last year we put in at the forth lake dam and went into sporting lake stream to access the shelburne and took out at low landing on lake rossignol. it was around this time last year, the flowage had lots of water, water level was not a concern until the shelburne.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2013, 5:03 am 

We went down to try to get in to Lake Joli over the weekend. We got in pretty far but we don't have a 4 wheel drive vehicle so we couldn't get all the way into the lake. It was just to muddy as we got closer to the lake. There was still some spots of snow and there were a few bit of ice in some of the marshes on the way down. We are going with the outfitter in/out at the dam.

have a good trip!