It is currently April 24th, 2019, 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tobeatic loop
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 9:53 am 

I was wondering if anyone could provide recommendations for three to four day loop trips in the Tobeatic. I'm hoping to find a trip that doesn't involve highly technical whitewater but am not adverse to small rivers (one of us has led whitewater trips, one has not) - we're from away, and haven't paddled in the region before (but have heard great things about the Tobeatic!).

What kind of access points does the area have? Are there roads/areas people generally park and leave their cars when out paddling? Thus far, I've come across using Keji as a starting point, and perhaps the Sporting Lake stream road?

Thanks! Here's hoping the snow melts soon!

Post subject: Re: Tobeatic loop
PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 4:26 am 

Syd,

I have only done one loop trip in the Tobeatic so it is all I can offer.

Pine lake loop.

Put in can either be right into Sporting lake stream or shortly after the dam on Fourth Lake. Following sporting lake stream down to Rush Lake, there is a campsite at the start of the carry into Sporting Lake. Once in Sporting Lake exploring the old growth islands is worth a stop. You will find a campsite 100M after the put in on the right or another on the point right before the southern bay. From Sporting Lake you take a carry out the west end of the lake into Little Pine. When I was on this trail last it seemed like it had not been used for some time and was a challenge at time to follow.

In Little Pine Lake there is a raised campsite though my memory is slipping if it is on the point across from the put in or of the left where the stream exits the lake. Follow the stream into Big Pine Lake. Here there are plenty of bays and inlets to explore. Hinterland Adventures references a well camouflaged campsite near the outlet of Pine Lake stream at the north end. I was unable to locate it when I passed through. Following Pine Lake stream there are several small carries depending on the water level. It will take you back to Sporting Lake stream and a short paddle to the put in on the stream or back to Fourth lake.

When I completed this route I used the Sporting lake stream put in and spent two nights. 3rd was planned but pushed through after not locating the campsite on Big Pine. Depending on your speed of travel, fishing and exploring it might suit your purpose. Although it doesn't take you very deep into the Toby, you do get a taste of the varied landscapes.

Had no issue leaving the vehicle parked at the put in.

Ryan R

PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 7:12 pm 

Tobeatic map here.....

https://www.novascotia.ca/nse/protected ... de_map.pdf

Sat image map here, amazing detail...

http://www.toddgraphic.ns.ca/map/arc_map.html

PostPosted: April 6th, 2015, 7:32 pm 

Thanks very much for the information!