It is currently April 19th, 2019, 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2007, 10:22 am 

George Luste mentioned Gary Dunning's last address was Air Ronge. He, in fact, used to live down the street from me here and now is in Prince Albert at (I think) 306 922-4560. People could likely buy his book direct from him. He would be thrilled that people are interested in it.

As to the map you describe Paddle North, it is great. Thanks. But Mowat in his book (pg 150) is clearly referring to Thompson's trip with Paddy and Kosdaw when he crossed the Swam Blondeau. Yet he has them paddling up the Cochrane. Bad research I would say.

jmc. I have read the Arctic article and agree that it is impartial. But the fact remains that Mowat often was very unkind to Harper in his writing whereas Harper never wrote about Mowat ( I think not anyway).

Mowat often referred to he and Schweder having essentially kindred spirits yet Schweder in the Dunning book says.

I remember when Francis Harper came in and stayed at my cabin. .... We got along very well. ... He and Farley Mowat came together but they didn't get along very well. Farley Mowat was ok in a way, but to me he just took care of himself.

... They came in April that year and later this Farley Mowat wanted to get out so I took him out. I came down Big River with him, took him out, which took three days. Then after I got to the coast and after going to Eskimo Point I flew back. ... Mowat paid me to take him out and after I got back to Nueltin Lake, he wrote me a letter stating he wanted his money back. I guess he was broke in those days. When I think of Farley Mowat, well, I don't want to say too much - why bother - he knows! He was a person who never said "thank-you" Just jumped on the plane and took off. ... He is a good writer in a way for people who don't know him.

Hardly the best of buddies I would suggest?

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 8:04 am 

Coming out of nowhere on this one; patience please.

Looked hard on the web for information on this book; found useful stuff only at CCR!
I'll list the book in one of my stickies but would like to provide a bit more information.
Can anyone supply a short list of places mentioned in this book?

I would like to to provide the same information (search at CCR came up dry, online search found nothing valuable) for
Pettigrew R King. North of Stony Rapids. Mile Point Publishers, 1989.
Found this one too at CSW II.

Yours, Allan

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)