It is currently February 21st, 2019, 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 5:11 pm 

we are hoping to paddle from mouth of hood, along south shore of coronation gulf, to kugluktuk. have not found any accounts of heading east to west, though i think the good weather prevailing easterlies would help us, especially with our little sail. questions: bad weather comes from northwest? are these stronger low pressure winds? most important for us: is there a time when ice is reliably gone on this shore, including wind-blown ice from north winds? we would like to be at arctic sound, heading out of bathurst bay, then heading west by 3rd week july, but maybe that is too early to avoid wind-blown ice? any helpful accounts or comments on this part of our trip?

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 5:59 pm 

You can check the ice situation for the past 4 years here:

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p ... lor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidden),Coastlines&t=2016-07-14&z=3&v=-118.56393991220386,66.22408907056305,-110.12643991220386,70.23190157056305

You'll have to find a day where there isn't too much cloud cover, the link will show you July 14 2016.

Edit: You'll have to copy/paste the link

Last edited by recped on January 28th, 2017, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 10:53 pm 

You will to look up people who have rowed or sailed in that area/route as well, to give you an idea as to ice, water, and weather conditions.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 10:16 am 

My first post on this forum!

If anyone needs a contact person, resident in Kugluktuk, I'd be pleased to help out. I've lived here for 46-years now and, though I know little of canoeing, I've travelled the coast from Melville Sound in the east to Bernard Harbour in the west, north to Read Island and south into Bathurst Inlet. I've also flown my airplane over much of the inland areas and landed on the Richardson, Rae, Coppermine and Tree rivers.

To answer your question, beverlyboynton, we never had any trouble navigating the coast, eastbound, from Kugluktuk to Tree River after July 15 and could quite easily get into Bathurst Inlet by the 25th. Bathurst Inlet is usually completely ice-free by July 20th but there are places along that coast (Cape Barrow and other points west to Tree River) where the ice may be briefly against the shore. You should have less trouble with canoes as opposed to our 47-foot cargo vessel and might be able to move the above dates up by three or four days. The dates of "ice-out" have been, in my experience, remarkably consistent from year-to-year.

Fair-weather winds in this part of the arctic are north-east and will push the ice off-shore. Storm winds are north-west. There are plenty of sheltered harbours between Arctic Sound and Tree River. West of Tree River you get some protection from the off-shore islands. There will certainly be no ice at all once you are west of Tree River around the dates you propose.

With a shallow draft canoe you should be able to utilize the open water between shore and the ice (if there's any). Under most conditions, that off-shore ice is your friend, pretty much eliminating any large swells.

I'm a good friend of Willem Lange and, over the years, have picked up his party at the Tree, the Hiukitak, and another, un-named river opposite Hepburn Island. Unfortunately, we are no longer running our boat, so we met Will on the Rae River with our little airplane and his crew paddled the last 20-miles to Kugluktuk.

Hope this helps with your trip planning.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 12:24 am 

https://www.amazon.com/Kabloona-Yellow- ... 0888012187

Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak: One Woman's Journey Through the North West Passage

During the summers of 1991 through 1994 Victoria Jason and two companions--Fred Reffler and Don Starkell--set out to kayak from Churchill, Manitoba to Tuktoyaktuk on the Beaufort Sea. When she set out in 1991, Victoria, already a grandmother of two, had been kayaking for only a year and was still recovering from the second of two strokes.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 12:39 pm 

david demello wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Kabloona-Yellow-Kayak-Journey-Through/dp/0888012187

Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak: One Woman's Journey Through the North West Passage

Beverly:
David was kind enough to gift me a copy when I met him in Arizona a few months ago. I'm done reading it and would be happy to pass it along. If interested PM me your mailing address.

Alan