It is currently February 18th, 2019, 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 1:10 pm 

I have a question concerning the route taken by Arthur Moffatt's group as described in "Death on the Barrens" Where is it? Image

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 2:17 pm 

Pessl book, starting on p 134.
17 September.
"Tomorrow we will tackle the eight mile trek from the NE arm of Marjorie Lake to the south shore of Aberdeen Lake...after getting a glimpse of the distant lake from a high hill, was able to establish what I hope will be a relatively direct and dry route..."
18 September.
"... We tried to stick to the firm ridges, but...Wet feet cracking ice and plunging into cold water...made camp on the bank of a low, swampy pond about a mile from the south shore of Aberdeen Lake..."
19 September.
"...the staggering march across the Aberdeen Hills continued... We managed to reach the south shore of the lake just before dusk. Made camp in a beautiful sheltered lagoon and fell asleep."
20 September.
The party was "able to get in a full day of travel...before the rains came."

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 3:09 pm 

8 miles in their condition. a remarkable feat of suffering given their initial state. I have done it 3 times if my recollection is correct with only one carry or if water low enough, no carry.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 3:24 pm 

since they did it twice, it should be called 24 mile carry, or for George and Joe, 40 mile mile carry since they did it three times! and then an 8 mile crossing in rough waves!

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 6:48 pm 

The Moffatt party possessed J B Tyrrell's maps.
That for the area of interest is
https://barrenlands.library.utoronto.ca ... 893&zone=6
It shows major rapids on the water route from Marjorie Lake to Aberdeen Lake.
The five Moffatt survivors showed excellent judgment in making that portage.
Unfortunately, that same map shows no rapids in the reach between the sharp left turn and Marjorie Lake; it was in that reach where Moffatt died.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 8:23 pm 

I will not argue with "The five Moffatt survivors showed excellent judgment in making that portage. " , but I am of the opinion that the River from Wharton Lake to Marjorie Lake was not matched by anything below Marjorie Lake. Perhaps I still have my maps which will show what they will show. I have 'done' this section three times. Twice from Wharton Lake and one other time, Juanita and I intersected the River part way down after doing a portage from Tebesjuak Lake. I provide a map for those interested.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 8:44 pm 

As support I refer to my post on the Kunwak

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 8:58 pm 

Now to support my claim that I descended the Dubawnt R. twice. Content and Obvious aging of paper (browned edges).

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 9:00 pm 

My only purpose here is to provide evidence as to the location and frequency of occurrence.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 10:32 pm 

Sorry, David, I don't understand the remark I am of the opinion that the River from Wharton Lake to Marjorie Lake was not matched by anything below Marjorie Lake.
Thanks, Allan

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 10:55 pm 

I have located both rapids downstream of Marjorie Lake indicated on Tyrell's map and have photos of both. The first carry was a couple hundred yards and the second was a quarter mile max.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 11:22 pm 

"Sorry, David, I don't understand the remark I am of the opinion that the River from Wharton Lake to Marjorie Lake was not matched by anything below Marjorie Lake."
Thanks, Allan

When Juanita and I left Wharton Lake we experience long and very powerful rapids. The first mile or so we rode 4/5 foot waves which gave us a remarkable experience, Then the river turned sharply left at an enormous esker where the river broke up into a powerful continuous violence for several miles. There were walk arounds and drag overs on the right hand side, intermittent but continuous, for a couple of miles. Then just after another sharp left turn We forced a landing on an island in the middle of a cascade. Carried the islands length and still had to put in with significant turbulence. Unlike the two rapids below Marjorie Lake which were relatively short, the rapids would have provided a long dangerous experience if we had dumped. I do believe Bill Layman ran the second rapid below Marjorie Lake. Took on some water but survived. But subfreezing temperature is a significant variable. So is 8 miles with a canoe and frozen ground.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2017, 6:55 am 

Toporama and mytopo show that there are two channels between Wharton Lake and Marjorie Lake.
Tyrrell's map shows only the eastmost; that is why Moffatt took it.
Layman took the westmost, why I don't know.
David: Am I correct in assuming that you took the westmost?
Didn't know that you had Pessl's book.
Regards, Allan

PostPosted: October 17th, 2017, 8:57 am 

Alan; I took the red, East route. I wanted a drive by of that monstrous esker. Did Layman give an account of his West route? There is a hidden variable why I looked askance at the 8 mile portage. My notes indicate my back was bothering me and I know I would have felt a twinge when I saw that possibility. And it would have been a minimum of 3 and probably 4 carries (minimum of 40 miles and perhaps 56 miles) therefore out of my reality. In fact I was wearing a back brace at that very time. We were at Beverly Lake when I had to take it off because a huge ulcer was forming. I am reading your "In Defense of Arthur Moffatt " and Moffatt deserves a vigorous defense. The rate at which the were killing the caribou they should have been well on their way to clothing themselves in some fashion and when was the last time you caught a fish that lasted 6 young stomachs 2 days!? I do think eating the glass encrusted peanut butter a bit much, given the description of how it tasted with their blood! If you're that tough, 8 miles aint nuttin, with emphasis on nut.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2017, 9:08 am 

Tyrell took the red route: