It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kongakut River (Alaska)
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 9:00 pm 

I wanted to put this in the new U.S. routes forum, but there wasn't a 'new topic' tab to click on....

I just saw on (U.S.) PBS a part of "Art Wolfe's Travels to the Edge". It was focused on photography (as it always is) on the Kongakut River. Has anyone canoed this river? He was rafting it, and capturing gorgeous photographs, as he always does.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2009, 7:07 am 

Doing this river next June. Using our 14' Sotar raft. There is a section of class III in a canyon that would be hard/impossible to portage. For a very experienced canoeist, it could be done perhaps, but some real research would need to be done. We usually use our Ally pack canoe on our Alaska float trips, but we will be rafting the Kongakut. Some do it in SOAR inflattable canoes. Mostly a class II river, but the canyon can demand respect from what intel I have gathered. Especially in the run off during mid June. That is when most folks do the float. Less bugs, more caribou (Porcupine herd comes through then), good weather, etc... Looks like a very scenic float. It was the Art Wolfe special that got me interested:)