It is currently March 20th, 2019, 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 8:12 pm 

I just got my new tent in the mail...
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VWX ... UTF8&psc=1

I set it up in my backyard and it looks great. for the price this thing is incredible
its a clone of Big Agnes Fly Creek https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-210/ ... V-UL2-Tent, all the parts are interchangeable.

it only weighs half a kilo more then the Fly Creek and it came with a foot print.
for the price you can buy a new one every year, and I'm sure this things not going to fall apart within 3 years.

how can I ever justify buying a big name tent ever?

what do you guys think? $135 vs $675 am I wrong?

PostPosted: July 24th, 2017, 8:40 pm 

i 'm still using a thirty dollar , 2 person tent for the past 7 yrs. Most trips have been 2 to 4 nights, 3 times a year. Your not wrong, $675 is A LOT of money for a tent. Save your money.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 7:11 am 

Yeah I'd have trouble buying one of those Big Agnes tents or something similarly priced.

It is an interesting question - I often wonder what is it about those expensive tents that warrants the price. Maybe they really will last that much longer. Maybe you can report back after a few uses and let us know if there is another shoe to drop. And again this time next year.

I have a number of MEC tents which I find to be a good value in the mid-range of price. But even most of those I got on bargain. I have a MEC Wanderer 4 that I got off kijiji for $150 in like-new condition except the shock cord had to be replaced in the poles. I have a MEC Tarn 2 and Tarn 3 that I bought when they went on sale because they were being discontinued. Even at full price those were not terrible but I got them I think $75 off for the 2 and $100 off for the 3. I have a Sierra Designs tent that I got at Sail for half price.

All that said - as a Scout leader I've seen a lot of low-end tents in action at camps. Things like the $100 Coleman from Canadian Tire. Most of those are pretty heavy in part because they tend to use fibreglass poles. I've seen a cheap Coleman with only a 1/3 or 1/2 fly make it through a weekend of torrential downpours with not a drop of water inside.

I still like to think I'm getting something more durable with the more expensive tents. But I'll look for them on kijiji and try not to buy them new :-)

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 7:37 am 

That's an interesting question that I've given a lot of thought to over the last couple of years.

I think the key is in the way you phrased one line "its a clone of..."

What you are paying for in the original Big Agnes, or any similar product, is the R & D that went into developing that tent, from the fabric and pole materials to the design, layout, guy points, etc. The clone wouldn't exist if it weren't for the original, and if everybody were to buy only the clone then eventually the makers of the originals would stop putting effort into making better tents.

Now I'm lucky enough to have a decent job, so I don't mind paying "extra" for the R&D, or to get something that was made more locally (I'm looking at a SeekOutside Cimarron for my next shelter), but I do understand that the costs of these things seem out of whack with what they actually cost to produce.

Full disclosure, I recently bought a couple of Outad chairs from Amazon and they are Helinox clones, so I do understand where you're coming from.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 7:57 am 

As many have, I've been in the position of monster winds and rain in exposed locations on long trips.

Some of these have been with a fancy 4-season mountaineering tent ($$$) with many poles, tie-downs etc. Always felt the tent was going to do OK. Think of something like a 2 week trip on the Tatchenshini river. Cold and rainy, with lots of chances for huge winds.

Also been there with an average 3 person type. These tents typically start to collapse, fold, flap, leak (floor, seams), etc. When this is happening you really wish you had the beefy expensive 4 season.

Algonquin- well I used a 30$ CT tent there for many years (before I could afford better tents)

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 11:20 am 

I like your thinking Satchmo and your right to a extent.
but if you look on amazon there are 10 different makers of that same exact tent its all just re-branded.
what if you found out it wasn't a clone and just something Big Agnes re branded and had customized and sold as their own?
we have been working with textiles since the beginning of time, your telling me a tents R&D is really going to jump the price up that much?
I sometimes wonder how much R&D actually goes on behind the scenes, and how much of it isn't just getting the rights to sell a product.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 12:39 pm 

I think if you're only going for a couple of nights and access is fairly easy like most parks are it would be fine for tents.

One thing I hate more than being overcharged is having to buy something twice - even if 2 of them are cheaper than 1 good one. The hassle and time to replace sub-par equipment isn't worth it for me. An example for me is tires; Costco sells some of the cheapest tires around, but they don't last so I pay extra for "real" tires.

As I like to go for longer trips by myself I will invest in the best gear I can get.
Just my 2cents

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 4:37 pm 

I have a Nemo Losi tent and I see they are around $700 now due to the exchange rate. I have had it for 3 years and it's a great tent and I love it however all the rainproof tape and coating are peeling off the rainfly and the walls and floor of the tent. It looks like dead skin coming off the tent.

Would I spend the $550 that I paid 3 years ago again? Nope. I am going to buy this cheap one to replace it. Everything cheap I buy works like a charm and lasts. Thanks for the link. I'll let the rich people buy the "real" tents

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 4:42 pm 

Two things: 1) You're paying for security and assurance that your getting a good tent instead of taking a gamble; 2) Things Change.

I got by for a couple of decades with a cheap Coleman tent bought at Canadian Tire (eh?). I just had to spray some water proofing on it every 7 years or so. It was heavier, but I was young and strong so willing to pay the weight penalty on portages. One pole broke and got the duck tape treatment. Eventually it broke again in a spot that couldn't be fixed. No replacement poles available, so tried a pole kit. The shock cord was under too much stress and broke with the pole length I had to make. Since the tent also had wind wear holes at the corners where I had dumbly put rocks in the inside instead of tying the tent to rocks on the outside when camping on a rocky camp in Georgian Bay (Philip Edward Islands trip), I decided to replace the tent.

I bought a tent quite similar with a very similar name (sun dome or something like that). That tent leaked like a sieve. I brought it back, since it was "guaranteed to keep me dry". I had quite the job of convincing the CT manager to take it back,..."none of our tents are water proof...you need to use spray, etc. etc. etc.", but I did get a refund.

Before I could find a suitable bargain replacement, someone GAVE me a North Face tent. That tent is much better than the one I had.

Sure if you buy something on line, you may get the exact same tent, but you may get seconds, or factory rejects, or who knows what. It's a gamble. If you buy an elite name brand, the manufacturer assures you; they stand behind it, you know it will work as advertised, and you thus avoid the hassle of taking it back for a refund.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 6:36 pm 

Ghost... the problem is your not paying for piece of mind that it's not gonna break. I'm willing to bet countless people have received sub part items from big name brands... it all depends who was on the assembly line that day.
In my opinion what your actually paying for is the name and a hassle free warranty.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm 

Sure you can always be unfortunate, but I still think brands like TNF have better quality control than some never-heard-of brand that won't be around in six months. They have invested in their name and are more likely to spend some money on QA/QC.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 8:30 pm 

everyone is entitled to their own opinion. just trying to share my opinion with others and hopefully i can save them a few bucks in the process.
and again I'm not saying this thing is the best tent ever, all I'm saying is for the price it is extremely well built, and that it will fit the needs of the average consumer.
I'll take this thing over a equally priced Canadian Tire tent any day of the week

newbman make sure you get the 20D Sil fabric. I think its more rain resistant and lighter.
The weight that they display for the item on the web-page is a little off. it only weighs 1.5kg not 1.7kg, weighed it myself...

P.S. I'm not typically a very frugal person. I have paid good money for certain equipment I have purchased, like $200 for a Wetterling axe, $400 for a tarp from CCS, $400 for a used Ostrom Pack, etc... but those were items that were crafted by professionals that care. I cant justify the $700 for something made in china when I can get almost the same thing also made in china for $150. The only way I could ever justify that price was if it was made in the USA or Canada
Keep in mind that tent probably only cost Big Agnes like $50 to produce.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 11:17 pm 

I think what sold me on the name brand gear is that I picked one up from a gear swap - a mountain hardware hammerhead regular $600 down to $400. I got tired of Canadian tire type tents failing me. After using the hammerhead for the last +10 yrs I can safely say I would pay full price for it if I ever had to replace it but I don't think I'll ever need to. It looks the same as the day I got it - in like new condition

Gear swaps are a bit of a gamble too and you may wait years to see the tent you want on it (if ever) but it worked great for me.

I don't think you're wrong Rawcado but your post was framed as a couple of questions so I think people are just giving you their opinion as to try and answer your questions.

Glad your happy with your purchase

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 6:44 am 

Quote:
... it broke again in a spot that couldn't be fixed. No replacement poles available....

You can get replacement poles made to spec:

http://tentpoletechnologies.com/

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 6:51 am 

I agree the warranty thing is a big part of the cost. Like newbman above- should be on the phone with the company. I bet they take it back and fix for free, or replace it. I'd be on the phone as soon as I saw those kind of problems.