It is currently March 18th, 2019, 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 4:05 pm 

Going to Haliburton highlands just south of Algonquin for a 3 day trip. The lake we'll be staying at has smallmouth bass and I want to try getting one. Never fished before, so perhaps a futile attempt? But want to give it a shot and looking for an entry level rod and spinning reel and the appropriate lure and other gear. Nothing fancy, as I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! I'll look at a few videos before I set off on my trip, and there's one guy in our group who has done fishing, so hopefully that'll be enough.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 7:10 pm 

Small mouth bass are great fighters for their size, you should have a blast. I haven't fished in years, but I always had good success with small lead head jigs. Cast near cover, usually weeds, rocks, or docks, and as you reel in give the rod little twiches. Raise or lower the rod tip to control the depth of the lure, you can experiment with different amounts. Any type of reel will work and you probably should have a pair of needle-nose pliers handy to extract hooks from the fishes mouths. Worms hanging from bobbers work as well, again experiment with depth, and some anglers like to use surface lures, but I've had little experience with them. You could probably get all you need on kijiji for cheap. If you live near Windsor PM me and I could probably set you up.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 1:56 pm 

Just get a spinning combo from Canadian Tire spend about 100 for something semi decent. Watch youtube videos to learn the Uni Knot. This is the only knot you need to tie to lures.

Get Jig Heads with twister tails. Get a few spoons. Red devil or little cleo. Get a few mepps #3 spinners.

These lures will catch you fish.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 7:14 pm 

I'm a hack when it comes to fishing, what little I know I learned from watching Henry & Italo!

My one bit of advice....DO NOT buy an ultra cheap rod and reel, you don't need to spend a fortune but go to a dedicated fishing store and ask them to set you up with something that won't fall apart immediately and is within your predetermined budget

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 8:31 pm 

Top water lures (poppers, Hula Poppers and Jitterbugs) are a blast on a sultry summer night as the sun goes down.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 10:28 pm 

Ended up getting a free rod, spinner and tackle box from a random guy from another forum. So nice of him!

Only thing was... it was pink... and not even 7ft long. Yup, a little girl's rod.

But I think anyone could've fished where I was. I caught a fish even when I didn't want to catch a fish. It was that easy.

I'll say this though... I'm not a fan of smallmouth bass. Granted, we had forgotten to bring along salt and pepper, but still, wasn't a great tasting fish.