It is currently April 21st, 2019, 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 1:13 am 

I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to acquire a copy of as many different pre-1990 Algonquin Park maps as possible? I recently got a 1926 CNR map of the park via eBay but nothing else seems to show up. A 1970's Canoe Routes map and a 1980's Backpacking map would especially be of interest, in addition on other significant maps (Arthur Brown, Dr. Bell, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 10:12 pm 

I have what could possibly be the original park map in digital form HERE (.sid file) which I gleaned from some government website once.

I understand that the park keeps copies of many of the old maps, which you may be able to arrange to view (copying may not be possible, rights issues...) contact the park. My dad had a map from the 70's, but he tossed it out once I gave him a copy of the new map recently ("what would I keep the old one for if you gave me a new one?"). My own stupidity for not asking for the old one in return I suppose.

Cheers,
-ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 10:47 pm 

I have a 1976 version of the map, heavily creased and dog eared, with some date notations on my routes from a couple of trips that year. I would be willing to give you a copy if I can figure out a way to scan it. The original holds significant sentiment for me.

One of the best parts of it is that it has numbered route sections on the front with brief description on the back with total mileage of the section and portage lengths.

If you have any ideas about how to scan or copy it, email me.

Fritz

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 11:25 pm 

Ben: Thanks for the link! That map is REALLY useful. It's the Dr. Bell map of 1908. It's labeled if you look at the writing on the legend. For anyone else who wants to see it and needs a SID reader, so to http://www.lizardtech.com/download/dl_o ... ge=plugins and get the ExpressView reader. I know the park has an archive so that's a good suggestion, though having something I could look at on a regular basis would be of great value.

Fritz: I sent an email. I really appreciate your offer.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 8:47 pm 

Anyone still have a copy of "algonquinOld.sid" mentioned above? The original link does not work anymore and google comes up with nothing.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2018, 12:18 am 

If I recall the version mentioned above was b&w. Just shoot me an email and I can give you a higher res colour one.