It is currently February 17th, 2019, 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GPX files
PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 3:00 pm 

OK, I am totally baffled!! :( :o . I had quite a few waypts and tracks stored on my laptop as GPX files. For some weird reason they have all been converted to PDF files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I can't get Acrobat to open them to possibly convert them back. Likewise, not surprisingly, I cannot get "GPS Track Editor" to open them either. Any hope of converting/re-habilitating these files?

Thx for any constructive suggestions you may have.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Re: GPX files
PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 3:57 pm 

If they really are .gpx files try changing the extension from .pdf to .gpx and see if they load

Any ideas on how they got changed? Were you doing some bulk renaming?

Did these files originate from .gdb files? If so can you remake the .gpx files from the .gdb?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 7:43 pm 

Humm, sounds strange.

What platform and OS were the files stored on?
Do you have a copy or backup of the files?

I'd also suggest changing the extension back to gpx and open them from within your GPS software.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 9:36 pm 

Have the .gpx extensions actually changed to .pdf, or does your file browser hide the extensions but displays the .pdf icon and tries to open them with Adobe software? My guess is that the files still have a .gpx extension, and that wotrock's file browser hides the extensions, but someone double-clicked a file and tried to open it with Acrobat Reader and associated all files with that program.

I don't know how GPS Track Editor works, but I'm guessing that if you right-click on a file and choose "Open with" then "Choose default program...", a new window will open.
Hopefully, GPS Track Editor is listed in the "Recommended Programs" list, but if not you'll have to choose "Browse..." and find the software yourself (probably in C:Program Files????). Once you've selected the program, you can check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box, and hopefully this takes care of the issue.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 10:31 pm 

elGuapo wrote:
Have the .gpx extensions actually changed to .pdf, or does your file browser hide the extensions but displays the .pdf icon and tries to open them with Adobe software? My guess is that the files still have a .gpx extension, and that wotrock's file browser hides the extensions, but someone double-clicked a file and tried to open it with Acrobat Reader and associated all files with that program.

Excellent theory! I have a friend, I use his computer frequently and his machine is set to not display file extensions (or system files).....I HATE that! His file associations are also all messed up.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2017, 9:40 am 

Once again CCR rides to the rescue---thx guys.

elG---you were right!The Adobe icon was displayed and if I clicked on the file it was the prog that tried to open it, but failed of course. When I clicked on properties it showed a gpx extension. So to open the file I first open GPS Tracker or similar then click on the file. To eliminate confusion I 'unistalled' Adobe and it got rid of that icon.

I guess I clicked on the wrong button atsome point to make that happen. Prob just read the question it was asking out of the corner of my eye and clicked on it to say "yah, yah, go away'

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2017, 12:35 pm 

Quote:
To eliminate confusion I 'unistalled' Adobe and it got rid of that icon.

Start -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type

Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> deselect "hide extensions"

And reinstall Adobe, I'm sure you will need it.

Kudos to elGuapo!