It is currently February 17th, 2019, 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 4:15 pm 

Now that Garmin has introduced their inReach SE+ and Explorer+, supposedly available in the next couple months, would you go that route as opposed to buying separate units? Are there any advantages to having a dedicated satellite communications device and a separate GPS unit.
At this point I have neither so I also have to factor in the cost...Garmin is suggesting retail prices of $520 CAN and $585 CAN for the SE+ and Explorer+ respectively.

Last edited by Barbara on February 1st, 2017, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
moved to the Maps, Navigation, Communication and GPS forum

PostPosted: February 1st, 2017, 10:02 am 

The inReach devices have been around for several years now. Garmin bought Delorme around February last year. The inReach devices are well proven at this point. I took a quick look but it wasn't immediately obvious what the enhancements/new features will be for the "+" models. It might just be using Garmin maps instead of Delorme but I don't know.

Regardless of any new features, I'd say that the first question is whether you're willing to spend $500+ for the inReach vs $120 or so for an entry level GPS. After that the question is whether you are happy pairing with your smart phone for mapping or if you want maps right on the device. If you're happy pairing with your smart phone then stick with the SE(+) but if you want maps directly on the device go with the Explorer(+).

I seriously considered the Explorer but my kids talked me into staying with the SE. It's worked well for us.

You might also want to watch for possible clearance deals on the SE or Explorer now that new versions have been announced.

What I wouldn't do is buy 2 separate devices for communication and GPS - unless I was buying a backup device in which case I'd still go with a second inReach.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2017, 6:27 pm 

I would stick with InReach and iphone.
But that's just me.

Rob

PostPosted: February 1st, 2017, 9:56 pm 

Loosing a GPS would be better than loosing an InReach. That's one reason to carry both. Keep the InReach for nightly check in and emergencies. But that is also more costly.

A dedicated GPS might offer better GPS functionality.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2017, 10:21 pm 

The inReach will give you your current position coordinates which for my purposes is sufficient. Many folks use no gps at all. I like having a device that will at least give me my coordinates quickly and accurately. The truth is none of this is really necessary. But, I do like having this stuff along as long as it does not start to dominate the experience. Maybe have one in each boat. Or, maybe an inReach and a PLB. I carry my PLB on my body in a PFD pocket. That gives me some piece of mind if everything really goes to hell and a handbasket I'll have a way to get help if I am still conscious.

Rob

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 10:35 am 

I have the older version of the inReach paired with the Delorme GPS. I had no GPS at the time of my purchase (and no phone that would interface with it). After a few years I still haven't got into using the GPS very much - its really just a keyboard interface and novelty item for me.
If I had to do it all over I'd just get the inReach that is operable on its own - but that wasn't available at the time

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 4:09 pm 

Even the current InReach lacks a keyboard so pairing it with a device that has a keyboard such as a smart phone is most useful for typing messages.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 10:07 am 

Ok then...after researching another thread and taking what folks have said above, a current inReach paired to an iphone with the Gaia app for GPS functionality is a common way to go it seems. I like the idea of being able to text with folks back home.
I've never used a PLB, GPS, Sat phone or other electronic device while tripping but I've been away from it for a decade and I can't remember them being very prevalent then. However, since I'm planning a few solo trips for this summer my family is pretty insistent that I stay connected. I appreciate RPG's comment about not letting this stuff dominate the experience.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 11:08 am 

Brian
My bad. I thought the Explorer was stand alone but after a glance it sort of is but only because it has the GPS built in. I would still probably go that way instead of carrying a phone to pair it to.
That's just me