It is currently February 21st, 2019, 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: UHT Milk
PostPosted: August 17th, 2017, 10:13 am 

UHT milk is milk that is heated to a very high temperature and put into special containers. It's stable at room temperature but once opened you need to refrigerate. It's also the most common way to buy milk in Europe.

Just wondering if anyone ever brings any on their trips.
They sell 125ml containers in stores here in Canada.

I hate coffee whitener, and this would be a much better option if you don't mind the extra weight. One container would probably be good for 2-3 coffees but you need to use it all at once.

Probably not the best thing for really long trips but I could see my self bringing enough for a 5 to 6 day trip.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: UHT Milk
PostPosted: August 17th, 2017, 10:16 am 

Powdered milk is pretty good, as long as you dissolve in cold water first. If you don't like skim, I got the whole milk powder from Amazon and it's good for coffee. My masochistic friend even drank it as regular milk.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hoosier-Hill-Farm ... 01D4VO58E/

M

PostPosted: August 17th, 2017, 11:02 am 

Bailey's irish cream, IMHO best method to preserve cream!

PostPosted: August 17th, 2017, 12:23 pm 

MarkoMrko wrote:
Powdered milk is pretty good, as long as you dissolve in cold water first. If you don't like skim, I got the whole milk powder from Amazon and it's good for coffee. My masochistic friend even drank it as regular milk.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hoosier-Hill-Farm ... 01D4VO58E/

M

I just ordered some of this stuff as Bulk Barn doesn't carry whole milk powder any more. And that skim stuff is just flat out gross.

I don't use it for coffee (black coffee for me thank you very much). But it is great on cereal in the morning and even as a refreshing post hike/paddle recovery drink mixed with a little chocolate powder!!!

It's funny how hard it is to get whole milk powder here in Canada. I spoke to a fellow who runs a Mexican convenience store in Leamington (Lot's of Mexicans there) I thought I would get some of this NIDO stuff all the Americans rave about for their trips. But he told me that it is impossible to import it into Canada.