It is currently February 18th, 2019, 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Kijiji Ads: Yeh or Nay?
Yeh! I always check them out and appreciate seeing what's out there. 82%  82%  [ 18 ]
Nay! Quit cluttering up the forums man. Get a life!!! 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: September 10th, 2017, 1:16 pm 

So for the last while, I've been posting kijiji ads that I'm not acting on, but feel are a good deal and somebody on CCR might benefit from. I've not really received much feedback as to whether or not members are actually picking up these finds, or even if folks find them interesting, so my question to you all is ...

Kijiji Ads: Yeh or Nay?

PostPosted: September 10th, 2017, 1:21 pm 

It is worth the heads up, and I greatly appreciated the ones this year.
Just missed out on a real sweet deal, so I hunkered down and checked several times a day till I got another great deal for my son who lives in N.B.
Good used boats are a premium there.
I still check and forward the info to anyone else who is hunting!
We really all in the same boat in this community and if we can save someone from buying a low end boat it is a major bonus.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: September 10th, 2017, 4:46 pm 

I'm counting on you to find the boat I'm looking for so please keep posting because I really won't know what I'm looking for until you post it and I exclaim...."I need that!"

PostPosted: September 10th, 2017, 5:12 pm 

I always read them. I wish people were less interested, they're always gone when I get to them!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2017, 9:18 pm 

I always read them and your posting them is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 4:03 am 

ISTR that I actually followed up on one and bought a pack.................

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 9:13 am 

I couldn't quite get to that Mattawa fast enough. It was still available on the Thursday but gone by the Saturday morning, so yeah I look at them.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 10:13 am 

I always look at the ad's you find and appreciate the time you take to post them

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 12:30 pm 

No, because anyone can set up their own notification within Kijiji, and get an email notification if something comes up. You can set them geographically if you don't want notifications from another part of the province. Therefore these postings are redundant imho.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 1:31 pm 

kinguq wrote:
No, because anyone can set up their own notification within Kijiji, and get an email notification if something comes up. You can set them geographically if you don't want notifications from another part of the province. Therefore these postings are redundant imho.

Kinguq.

Well, mostly favourable responses so far. Thanks for the feedback.

True Kinguq, anyone/everyone can set up their kijiji account so that they are notified about a specific item they are looking for. I personally just have mine set up only for "kevlar canoe" across Ontario ... my baseline is a seaworthy 50lb canoe for $1000 from a reputable builder. I figure I'm screening out the crap and the overpriced so others don't have to.

I also scan Ontario wide for canoes, tents, hammocks, packs, barrels/harnesses, stoves, sleeping bags, paddles, rain gear and other kit that I personally don't need, but have friends nearby who might, and if they don't need them, then my friends here get a look. Either they might need one, or if they already have one, could use another if the price is right, or maybe they have friends who are starting out or are upgrading who might be interested ... or in recped's case will know he needs it when I show it to him, :rofl:

Anyway, unless there is an overwhelming wave of "shut'er down" responses, I'll carry on for a while. Take a look if you like. No pressure to look if you don't care to.

Cheers!

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 2:18 pm 

I've pretty much given up on Kijiji alerts, they have become as useless as eBay alerts (no surprise since Kijiji IS eBay). Having someone do the "heavy lifting" by sorting out the good from the bad is great and I really appreciate it.

FYI - I'm looking for another Mohawk XL14 (or maybe a Vertige X), hope to find one before the one I have disintegrates completely! :rofl:

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 3:21 pm 

I already check kijiji at least 20 times a day because that is how quickly you have to move on a good bargain

But yes I still enjoy seeing them here.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 8:29 pm 

I'd be interested if there was some feedback about the boats, but not just a link to an ad on another site.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 10:45 pm 

What surprises me is that I have a Kijiji search screen to click open, basically for canoes in Ontario, with a price range. But you get some that I should but don't. My search should find all in the province. So your alert gets different things from my search. ??

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 10:58 pm 

I'm not.
Seems like a lot of shit being thrown at the wall.
To keep throwing things at the board, I think, after a while people may stop reading your links. Maybe even posts.

I'm more in favour of a member looking for a boat (material, shape, or whatever criteria, etc...) and asking members here to keep an eye out for them.
Now we all know what to look for... If we want to.

Now if you want to spend time looking for someone else, I'm sure they would really appreciate that and now you have a goal.

It just seems a little more purposeful to have people respond on my thread with related information instead of me having to read every single "canoe for sale" post from you.

But hey... keep doing whatever you want. You asked. :D