It is currently February 18th, 2019, 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2018, 7:57 pm 

I know its a long shot and Andy's inventory is long gone.

We have two much loved Ostrom Barrel Harnesses in Large and would love a 3rd if we could get our hands on one. We've tried the Level 6 and most recently the North Water Quick Haul and find them very much lacking compared to the "best barrel" harness ever made.

Anyhow, maybe somebody is willing to part with their's? We paid $200 new for ours but are willing to up the Ante to $300 CDN for your used genuine Ostrom 60/30 Barrel harness. This will be a user, so functionality is a necessity. Cosmetics aren't a big thing but it needs to be intact. Please takes some pics and send us details.

Thanks for your consideration

KGD

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 6:54 am 

I was speaking with Andy this week... There may be an order of packs coming in shortly...

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 1:48 pm 

I'm pretty sure Ostrom is retired unless they sold their company and plans to someone else? Anyone have info about this?

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2018, 6:51 pm 

Hmmmm... I have one in good condition with side pocket that I'd appreciate turning into a CCS harness.

I'm in Manitoba though.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 7:46 am 

I spoke with Bill Ostrom in the last two weeks about a harness and I dont think any new ones are coming in. I purchased the barrel bag from Cooke Custom Sewing in its place and am very happy with it.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2018, 3:56 pm 

Hmm, I was speaking with Andy late last week and he is under the impression he will have them mid June.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 9:32 pm 

I have an update regarding Ostrom and Andy.

From Bill:
A good friend has some of my barrel product designs
(Recreationalbarreworks.com). We are having it made to my specifications
and selling it. Check it out. The barrel harness at this time is an
entry level harness not the Voyageur harness I made. We hope to add a
more luxurious model next year.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 11:46 am 

gnatwest wrote:

From Bill:

Recreational Barrel Works (RBW) is now selling the new barrel harness mentioned above:

https://recreationalbarrelworks.com/pro ... 0-harness/

Looking at the images, this new harness is definitely not as rugged looking as the classic Ostrom Outdoors Voyageur 60/30 Litre Harness. Still nice to see Ostrom getting back into the gear business (albeit in a roundabout way).

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2018, 8:10 pm 

NorseScotsman wrote:
gnatwest wrote:

From Bill:

Recreational Barrel Works (RBW) is now selling the new barrel harness mentioned above:

https://recreationalbarrelworks.com/pro ... 0-harness/

Looking at the images, this new harness is definitely not as rugged looking as the classic Ostrom Outdoors Voyageur 60/30 Litre Harness. Still nice to see Ostrom getting back into the gear business (albeit in a roundabout way).

Thanks for the update and I'll be sure to patronage Andy again!

We just came back from our Wabakimi trip. We had 3 large barrels, two with our original ostrum's (from Andy's old stock) one with a Northwater purchased from MEC which we were still testing out. Even though we put the Northwater on the lightest "clothes" barrel, we consistently grew to hate it over time. I ended up having to tie some extra paracord at the bottom of the harness to loop around the barrel bottoms because the harness would very regularly slip upwards and bunch up at the top your back. We then had to duct tape the paracord in place at the bottom to keep it from popping out. This solution solved the bunching up problem but did not aid in the comfort level of that harness system which is not good. The level 6 is better in our opinion but the waist belt of the level 6 is stiff, lacks badding and the strapping too small for my wife. The Ostrom's of course worked amazing. We'd actually bump into each other both trying to reach for an ostrom outfitted barrel (the heavier choices) on the portage trails. They are that good. Lets hope the new design keeps these same performance attributes. We will definitely pick one up and test it out!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2018, 4:55 pm 

I have a Northwater barrel harness also, this is my first season with it(my original Blackfeather one from the early '90s finally broke last summer). It also slipped upwards on my first trip of the season. I've done 3 more trips (19 days)and likely only 9 portages but have not had any slippage issues. I just tightened the cinch straps as much as possible and have not had any more issues. I find the padding comfortable enough, but only pack clothes, tent and tarp in the barrel, not food. I've not tried other harnesses so can't comment on how comfortable they are.

rab

PostPosted: August 26th, 2018, 5:17 pm 

I am following this thread, and hope to get some help. Our Ostom barrel harness had a crucial piece of thread/seem let go on our last trip. If you look at your harness, you will see where the hip belt passes through (and there is a piece of velcro to hold it in place). The fabric the wraps up and around the belt is sewn is across the top to the belt to the backpack. It is that piece (the top of that fabric) that has come undone. I have taken it to 2 places, AND tried upholstery needles, with no luck getting it secured back down. Anyone else had this happen? How did you fix it? It is not usable right now, and at with the seem now 3/4 of the way undone I envision soon just having the waist belt held on by the bit of velcro!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 1:32 pm 

Hi Cheryl,

Can you find someone who does shoe repairs? They might enjoy the challenge and are used to dealing with hidden and difficult seems. True, they are getting hard to find now days. Good luck. Ostrom's are worth the effort to fix them. Thus far, I've had one plastic buckle let go, cracked, but that was easy to replace.

Ken

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 2:05 pm 

I had already tried 3, and n go, but I just got back from trying one in the next town, and he thinks he can fix it. Thanks!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 2:52 pm 

Cheryl,

I'm pretty sure Bill is still honouring the lifetime warranty on his packs. If you're the original owner it might be worth giving him a call regarding the repair.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: August 27th, 2018, 3:18 pm 

Thanks Mike!