It is currently February 19th, 2019, 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 28th, 2018, 11:50 am 

Okay, the garage cleaning is still proceeding. I'm selling an older MEC Nunatak-4 dome tent for $150 Cad + shipping.

The Nunatak is a sturdy 4-season tent designed as an expedition tent. It has two doors and larger vestibule at the front and small vestibule at the back. The tent was bought in 2001 so its old but hasn't seen that much use, maybe used 20 times. The mesh screen at the front has some patches and field repairs from a critter encounter on one trip but it is fully intact and the mesh door is fully functional. All the original poles are included.

The fly is newer then the tent. We replaced it in 2005 with a new one from MEC designed for the same tent and it has seen only 1 or two trips. I no longer have the original stuff sack that it came with but I will find a nylon one to fit it.

Weight of this tent is 5 kg or 10.4 lbs. It is very sturdy and designed for wind resistance and heavy snow loading. This is a tough tent for tough conditions. MEC still sells the Nunatak model on its website with some slightly different redesigns. Their new cost is $720. In 2001 we paid $550 for it. While it is admittedly quite old both in style and materials, at $150 it is much better than anything new you can buy at that price point.

Location - Windsor, Ontario

Ken

Last edited by kgd on October 29th, 2018, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2018, 6:43 am 

I bought a couple of used MEC Northwinds about the same age as that - in great shape and well worth the money I paid. Even my first MEC Tarn 2 is a similar age and has gotten quite a lot of use in the 23 years or so that I've owned it, and it is still going strong.

That's a good price for someone looking for a tent like that. Might help though to mention where you are located.

Last edited by Prospector16 on October 29th, 2018, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2018, 7:25 pm 

Thanks for the good words about MEC tents. I added in my location to the original post.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2018, 10:31 pm 

I know your tent very well - I admired it in the MEC catalogs back in the day!