It is currently December 12th, 2018, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mad River ME
PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 11:42 am 

So I have an opportunity to buy a Mad River ME. The hull is in really good condition except for a dent in the bow that has a small crack (will repair this before I use the canoe)...otherwise the canoe is in excellent shape.

My questions are how does this boat handle compared to a Mad River Caption? What can I expect from it? How is it's primary and secondary stability?

Thanks for the help!

Sam

Post subject: Re: Mad River ME
PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 1:20 pm 

I thought of another question, does anyone know if there was a specific year(s) that the "purple" Mad River ME's were made?

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 1:23 pm 

There are some comments here:

https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/ ... hite-water

Brief mention here:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 46&t=32502

Given that it would be about 25 years old (or older) you would want to make sure it hasn't had too much UV exposure. I don't know about the purple but production ran from 1980 - 1995.

According to those threads it's most similar to a MR Fantasy.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 1:27 pm 

Compared to a Caption: faster but not as dry. Its a longer boat with sharper entry lines. Is that Caption still going up for sale?

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 1:39 pm 

Thanks guys,

Doug - Sorry brother but I'm gonna keep that one.

What do the sharper entry lines cause?

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 1:52 pm 

Think I figured it out, sharper entry lines help the canoe track better and have more speed.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 4:31 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
Thanks guys,

Doug - Sorry brother but I'm gonna keep that one.

What do the sharper entry lines cause?

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 1&start=15

sharper entry contributes to lower block coefficient.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 7:10 pm 

I had a Mad River ME for many years. Sold it in the Cheat River Canyon because I also had, and still have, a Millbrook composite ME. I regret selling that boat.

The ME is my favorite whitewater canoe of all time -- my all time being nowadays considered old time. I liked it better than my Whitesell Piranha, Dagger Encore and Perceptions GyraMax C-1, as well as other canoes of the 80's and 90's that I paddled, such as the Blue Hole OCA, Sunburst I and Sunburst II, the Old Town H2Pro, the Perception HD1, the Millbrook MJM and Flashback, the Hemlock Shaman, the Dagger Caption, Rival and Ocoee, and the various Mohawks.

The ME was designed by John Berry as a slalom racing canoe for both long class solo and tandem. It was the first mass produced Royalex slalom canoe. It is fast and can be accelerated very rapidly, which I consider to be one of the most important attributes for a river running, river vivisecting, whitewater canoe. I paddled and raced it a lot tandem and it easily handled our combined weight, which in those days was probably about 330 pounds.

I've never paddled the Mad River Caption, which is not the same hull as it's predecessor Dagger Caption. The ME should be faster, as the Mad River Caption is wider than the Dagger Caption and I don't recall the Dagger Caption being a competitive slalom canoe. The ME is also about 14 inches longer than the Mad River Caption, which will also give it a higher hull speed and likely make it a better tandem canoe.

There was a time in the 80's, in certain clubs the Northeast U.S., when almost every canoe on a whitewater river was a bobbing ME banana boat.

I'd buy it.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 11:39 pm 

Glenn MacGrady wrote:
I had a Mad River ME for many years. Sold it in the Cheat River Canyon because I also had, and still have, a Millbrook composite ME. I regret selling that boat.

The ME is my favorite whitewater canoe of all time -- my all time being nowadays considered old time. I liked it better than my Whitesell Piranha, Dagger Encore and Perceptions GyraMax C-1, as well as other canoes of the 80's and 90's that I paddled, such as the Blue Hole OCA, Sunburst I and Sunburst II, the Old Town H2Pro, the Perception HD1, the Millbrook MJM and Flashback, the Hemlock Shaman, the Dagger Caption, Rival and Ocoee, and the various Mohawks.

The ME was designed by John Berry as a slalom racing canoe for both long class solo and tandem. It was the first mass produced Royalex slalom canoe. It is fast and can be accelerated very rapidly, which I consider to be one of the most important attributes for a river running, river vivisecting, whitewater canoe. I paddled and raced it a lot tandem and it easily handled our combined weight, which in those days was probably about 330 pounds.

I've never paddled the Mad River Caption, which is not the same hull as it's predecessor Dagger Caption. The ME should be faster, as the Mad River Caption is wider than the Dagger Caption and I don't recall the Dagger Caption being a competitive slalom canoe. The ME is also about 14 inches longer than the Mad River Caption, which will also give it a higher hull speed and likely make it a better tandem canoe.

There was a time in the 80's, in certain clubs the Northeast U.S., when almost every canoe on a whitewater river was a bobbing ME banana boat.

I'd buy it.

Glenn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. This was exactly the kind of info I was looking for and is hard to find!

Of the few videos I've found with a ME it seems that the way this boat handles will work well for me. I would like a whitewater boat that has good speed. Looking to use it on primarily class 1-2 rivers.

Thank you again!

Sam

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2017, 12:11 am 

It's a tippy boat but once you 'get it', you've got it, and you'll love it. A bit wet in big water, but if deftly paddled it will negotiate anything. Fast and nimble, can turn on a dime and accelerate and decelerate in a stroke or two. Great playboat for day trips, could make a tripper for someone who liked to travel light.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2017, 7:52 pm 

I appreciate everyone's advice on the ME. After a LOT of consideration I decided to pass on the boat. I feel that ezwater made a lot of sense mentioning (on cboats) that my total load would likely be too much for the canoe. I have made that mistake before (on the dreaded Kattawagami trip) and do not want to make it again.

And running it empty with just the dog...well there are not many times I do that sort of thing.

Cheers,

Sam