It is currently February 17th, 2019, 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 11:18 pm 

Considering purchasing Old Town's Charles River 15'8" in the 3 layer polyethylene. I am a big fan of the canoe's aesthetics and plan to use it for solo lake/river trips in the Canada's northwest boreal region. I have some concern that the 14" height at centerline and tumblehome will reduce the seaworthiness in moving water class II and above. Typical weight in the canoe will be >400lbs (myself and gear) and I wonder how all factors combined will effect buoyancy. Does any one have experience with this canoe beyond day trips on flat water? If so, I'd really appreciate you insights on the Charles River's performance.
Thanks,
-Ian

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 6:57 pm 

has nice lines , great canoe if you want to sit at the cottage and look at it next to the lake.
complete garbage for any kind of whitewater. bottom is flat, almost no rocker, o.k for a cottage boat, some light day rips thats about it.
a friend of mine bought one, took it on a few white water trips, wasnt long selling it after that.
if your looking for a large capacity solo, might want to look at other boats possibly the esquif pocket canyon. it will handle big whitewater solo with a load. not super great on lakes but still better than the charles river.
old town has really gotten away from good canoes the last decade or so and concentrates more on recreational products.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 7:36 pm 

And it is 80lbs!!! OMG!!!