It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Skid Plate repair
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 8:04 pm 

Still working to prep the royalex for skid plates--building up badly worn places on stern.

I'm also working on building up the keel line of the MR XK. The instructions for the qflex suggested using a notched trowel to put on an even layer of epoxy and fairing compound. I've taped off 3 inches on either side of the keel from bow to stern and tried that on about a foot long section. Putting the fairing/qflex mixture on with the 1/4 inch notched trowel seems to work. The mixture self levels pretty well and most of the ridges on it largely disappear in an fairly evenly layer. With some sanding and perhaps some additional fairing mixture, I think I'll get some extra protection for the keel line.

More later when I've had a chance to work all this through.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2017, 3:02 pm 

Skid plates on Royalex applied today. Dynel fabric with two inch fiber glass tape on top.

I couldn't get the release fabric to conform to the curves of the stems, but otherwise, I think it did it's job. The Dynel and the fiberglass tape look smooth. Disposable gloves were great for smoothing the fabric. We'll see how it all went tomorrow.

I'm still working on thickening the keel line on the MR XK with qflex and West 407 fairing compound. The section I did yesterday seems to have worked well, though it will take a second skim coat to fill in the low spots. It looks like I'll need more Qflex to finish this job.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 12:21 pm 

Fritz wrote:
Skid plates on Royalex applied today. Dynel fabric with two inch fiber glass tape on top.

I couldn't get the release fabric to conform to the curves of the stems, but otherwise, I think it did it's job. The Dynel and the fiberglass tape look smooth. Disposable gloves were great for smoothing the fabric. We'll see how it all went tomorrow.

Damn Fritz, I’m all in suspense here. How did it turn out?

Any ragged edge smush from compressing the peel ply will disappear when you top coat with spraypaint for a UV protective layer.

I’m no materials master, and may be wrong in this, but I’d have put the more abrasion resistant Dynel over the (E-glass) tape. Or, having Dynel, skipped the glass altogether.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 12:38 pm 

When I peeled the release fabric, where I had it smooth, the job is beautiful. The glass tape almost disappears with no edge visible on parts of the job. There are ragged edges where the dynel fabric unraveled as I smoothed it. It might have been better to use a roller rather than hands covered with gloves.

A little sanding and maybe some fairing compound made with the GFlex and West fairing powder will largely fix this well enough, then spray painting with Krylon. I didn't tape off to protect the rest of the bow and stern because my earlier skid plate applications were pretty sloppy and I didn't see how drips from this job could make it much worse. The boat is really a beater that I'm keeping for my daughters and son-in-law on local rivers.

I haven't been back to the project since 7/4 as I've got some other stuff on my plate that has taken precedence, like a long bike ride yesterday with my adult daughter that she invited me on. But also professional obligations with deadlines. Being retired has not made these go away yet.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 11:28 am 

Fritz wrote:
Being retired has not made these go away yet.

I doubt the still working stiffs can feel our pain, but I understand.

When I think back to my working schedule, long weeks, on the road at dawn for a cross-metro area commute, 2am emergency calls and 50 demanding e-mails/requests a day I sometimes wonder how the hell I lived that for 40+ years.

I’m not sure I’d do it again. But damn the pension is nice, and now it’s just the tough choices of picking what things I love to do I get to each day.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 5:33 pm 

Hi Mike,

I read this thread with interest as I need to replace the skid plates on some canoes. Ordered the materials - but one problem emerged! It looks like the recommended link you gave for Jamestown Distributors for release fabric led to breather fabric, which I'm now thinking maybe isn't the same thing... (after ordering it, of course)? Do you think this using this polyester fabric blanket will still work? Was this what you meant all along?

thanks!

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... her+Fabric

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 11:59 am 

syd wrote:
I read this thread with interest as I need to replace the skid plates on some canoes. Ordered the materials - but one problem emerged! It looks like the recommended link you gave for Jamestown Distributors for release fabric led to breather fabric, which I'm now thinking maybe isn't the same thing... (after ordering it, of course)? Do you think this using this polyester fabric blanket will still work? Was this what you meant all along?

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... her+Fabric

Crap. And $#%^@!

That is not what I meant, or wanted to recommend. That materials list was from a friend’s order last summer. He couldn’t find peel ply in the Jamestown on-catalog, called and after some “Don’t see peel ply” back and forth ordered what Jamestown thought sounded right.

His boats and material finally showed up in the shop last Friday. We opened the box and I wondered “What the hell is this stuff?”.

In the box was a Jamestown catalog; “peel ply” is right above Vacuum Bagging Breather fabric in page 56. Jamestown calls their peel ply “Vacuum Bagging Release Fabric” and notes in the description “A finely woven fabric treated with release agent (also known as peel ply)”

Methink the Jamestown phone reps are working off the on-line site, and having a copy of the paper catalog might help.

We did not use it; I had sufficient peel ply in the shop. I need to do a little epoxy work in the shop today and cut off some breather fabric for a hand laid, non-vacuum bagging test.

I am not expecting great things, or at least not the faint fine weave peel ply leaves behind.

My apologies to anyone who ordered breather fabric and used it. I know a couple folks who do vacuum bagging, and I think they’ll soon have a package on the way.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 5:12 pm 

Breather fabric experiment

I tried an experiment yesterday using pieces of the mistakenly ordered breather fabric over a mixture of G/flex and West 105/206.

It was a dismal failure. The fabric was loathe to release from the epoxied surface, most of the epoxy came off with the fabric and the remaining epoxied surface was beyond fugly.

I’ll be mailing a package of breather fabric to a vacuum bagging friend soon.

EDIT:

BTW, this is the right stuff (peel ply) from Jamestown Distributors:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... o?pid=3754

I have not used their release treated peel ply, but it looks identical to what I have bought from Express Composites. There is at least one release treated variety of peel ply, more white cloth-like, that I’ve bought from a local outfitter shop.

Sorry for the mix up Syd, I hope you didn’t already try using that breather fabric.