It is currently March 26th, 2019, 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 8:11 am 

I had one of the earlier versions of the inReach paired with the Delorme PN60 GPS. It worked great. No problems. When Garmin bought them out they supported this old tech for a while but no longer so I can't update any of the settings like preset messages etc. It is still functional and sends texts
This season I moved up to the full Garmin unit because of the lack of software support. Having 1 device will probably be good (I never really got into using the GPS much - I didn't find the delorme mapping very good). I'm hoping I'll be just as happy as before

PostPosted: March 15th, 2018, 6:27 pm 

mark m wrote:
I had one of the earlier versions of the inReach paired with the Delorme PN60 GPS. It worked great. No problems. When Garmin bought them out they supported this old tech for a while but no longer so I can't update any of the settings like preset messages etc. It is still functional and sends texts
This season I moved up to the full Garmin unit because of the lack of software support. Having 1 device will probably be good (I never really got into using the GPS much - I didn't find the delorme mapping very good). I'm hoping I'll be just as happy as before

For clarity you must be referring to the original first generation InReach because the 2nd Gen version which has been sold for 4 years or more are still supported and likely will be for quite some time (the exact same software is used in the new Garmin models).

Funny you should complain about Delorme mapping because that's the primary reason that Garmin bought them out. The Inreach device was a product that Delorme developed after being strictly in the digital map field for about 30 years.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 12:22 pm 

You could be entirely correct about the mapping. I'm not very patient with tech so maybe I didn't learn it enough. I'm trying to get with the times and use GPS but I prefer maps and compass - canoeing usually only maps.
For me, I really only use it for the comms

When Garmin did take over they had said they would continue supporting it. They did for a while but no longer. Like all tech, it would seem that everything only gets supported for so long - that was the point I was trying to make.

This is the one I had (have)
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-460/ ... 26-Android

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 8:21 pm 

That IS the very old 1.0 version, originally released in 2006 it was discontinued in 2011 when the Inreach was first released.

The current Garmin versions are just a remodelling of the 2.0 Delorme models, same "guts" with a bit more flash.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 12:25 am 

Yeah... and I still use an iphone 4... Maybe I have a problem haha
It still works fine but I can't update any of the messages anymore. I got the new one now and hope it'll be just as good if not better(?)

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Those Garmin subscription prices are not bad - the basic plan for $20 a month is pretty much what most people would need.

Can you park the plan in the off months?

Regarding Spot - ug a keyboard? Don't they know that RIM already went out of business on that one? Nobody cares about a keyboard.

If you’ve ever tried to use the inReach scroll and click keyboard especially in an emergency you might like to have an external. I use the Garmin app and it works great on my smart phone. A SPOT with a keyboard might work. However, I think the way of the future is a small Sat device paired to a smart phone.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.