It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I love global warming.
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 2:15 pm 

I live in Southern Ontario. My first canoe paddle of 2018 was on February 27th this year. And I got out for a couple of hours today.

I appreciate that climate change has negative consequences but damn I love year-round open water.

Now if only we could get the Sudbury acid rain going again. The crystal clear waters of Killarney are becoming cloudy with life.

-?-

PostPosted: January 7th, 2019, 9:37 am 

I miss my cross country skiing and snow shoeing. We honestly use them as decorations in in the rec room at this point as they only come out if we are traveling north of Barrie in the winter.

I did try to convince the wife and kids to go out for a Sunday afternoon paddle on the weekend but no takers.

I'll take a hard no on the the acid rain. If you want to see some beautiful and naturally crystal clear water just spend some time on the upper great lakes.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2019, 7:46 am 

If I may play pedant, the proper term is climate change.
https://www.ipcc.ch/
https://www.ipcc.ch/2018/10/08/summary- ... vernments/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergove ... ate_Change

EDIT. Please, someone, tell me how to insert the smillie (sp?) for blush,

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

Last edited by Allan Jacobs on January 10th, 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2019, 7:56 pm 

Allan Jacobs wrote:
If I may play pedant, the proper term is climate change.

You may.

And I DID use climate change in the body of my post but wanted to emphasize the warming theme in the title.

Really, I appreciate that climate change (and acid rain - that part was firmly tongue in cheek) is bad for the planet and I am a huge advocate for a large carbon tax, BUT...

I still really appreciate paddling 12 months of the year.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying climate change even if I regret that it is happening. (At least in my opinion.)

-?-

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 3:01 pm 

I also enjoy climate change when it leads to more/better paddling. I'm guessing that the weather in Southern Ontario is close to that of Michigan since I also enjoyed some awesome January paddling. But my first paddle in 2018 was also in late February and I paddled in a farmer's soybean field after our local river popped up 10 feet to record levels following heavy snow and then 3 days of warm rain (following the coldest December on record). There were mandatory evacuations and coast guard rescues nearby. It also sure seems like we are getting slightly warmer average temperatures that are driven by huge swings of temperature that include record highs and record cold. But this winter sure has been delightful so far.
:thumbup:

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 8:29 pm 

Whatever it's called, spring ww runs are getting earlier & smaller yr/yr,,

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 9:46 pm 

Those of us who are still around in thirty years will be really wishing that we wouldn't have taken the problems unfolding in front of us so lightly.