It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 17th, 2005, 12:29 am 

Hello,

I just discovered this forum. Very cool. It seems like it is harder and harder to find non-commercial websites with actual useful content, so this is great.

I am seeking suggestions for flat water routes around Kamloops (say, within 3/4 hrs drive preferably). We have 3 nights / 4 days and then we have to meet some people at Sun Peaks ski area. I'd like to try something with some back-country boat only accessible camping - hopefully some wildlife viewing opportunities. Water warm enough to swim in would be bonus if any lakes around like this (note: we are not members Polar Bear Club). Not being familiar with the area (My wife and I are from Seattle) I have been debating several possiblities including Shuswap Lake, Slocan Lake or maybe something in Wells Gray Park. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2005, 11:36 am 

You could do the Thompson, North Thompson or the Adams River. Just a couple I can think of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2005, 11:42 pm 

zconlen,
You mentioned flatwater, so I'd suggest the west end of the Bowron Lakes Circuit, Murtle Lake, or Clearwater Lake. Only the latter of the three has any powerboats. Murtle is the largest lake in North America that's paddleboat-only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2005, 5:21 pm 

Here's a place I've been curious about for flatwater canoe-only camping near Kamloops: the Bonaparte Plateau.

I've seen an old book that describes the plateau and some canoe routes, including one to a really neat, tall rock feature, an old neck of a volcano, called Skoatl Point, sorry I can't recall the name of any of the lakes.

The area is part of Bonaparte Provincial Park, but if I remember, their was a management decision not to promote the park for canoe trips? The best I can is provide the park link. If you find out more, please let us know ho it goes.

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... onapar.htm

P.

Post subject: bonaparte plateau
PostPosted: February 5th, 2006, 2:16 pm 

I have researching this area for some shorter trips this summer. From what I've been able to find, there are three small lake routes in fairly close proximity. From north to south, they are, Emar Lakes, Lupin Lakes and Tuwut Lake. The latter one is in Bonaparte Provincial Park. The Emar Lakes route is a little more rustic. Lupin, I haven't found out much about, Tuwut Lake has several fishing lodges in the area with trails to the various lakes, so I'm guessing it is a little less remote.
If anyone has been in this area, let me know.

Erich

Post subject: kamloops trips
PostPosted: March 26th, 2006, 5:58 pm 

I Iive in Kamlooops and have done a couple of things around here. You could do the North Thompson River, from Clearwater to McLure. There are no serious rapids in this section. It is Class I+. There is a Class II or even III at Heffley Creek farther downstream. The trip is not true wilderness, since it is beside a railroad and highway. But there are places to escape. Many beautiful sandbars to camp on. We snuck up on a bear on this river.

For flatwater, Clearwater Lake has some amazing beaches. Water can be cool, but sometimes in August it warms up.

There are two canoe routes on little lakes in the Bonaparte Plateau, which is nearby Sun Peaks. I've done the portage on the longer one. The book says 20 minutes. I'd say it was 35 or more and tough in spots. The lakes are pristine, small and full of rainbows. These two routes are described in Bonaparte Plateau: An Access Guide by Richard Youds.

Good luck and have fun on your trip. You can e-mail me at fortems(NOSPAM)@telus.net if you want more information. (Take out the brackets and NOSPAM.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2006, 1:58 pm 

I see Adam's River suggested. Be very careful if you do this river! It's beautiful and very easy until the end. There is a gorge at the end of this river that will really get your attention no matter how experienced you are. I ran it successfully once a couple of years ago, but readily admit the river ran a little salty by the time I got through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2006, 12:44 pm 

Any updates on this post? I'd like to know what anyone knows about the lakes on the Bonaparte Plateau.

The Adams River canyon is quite something to paddle in canoe! At least it's a safe, quick swim - flush might be a better word.

If people are interested in paddling the Adams, some BC canoe organizations go there every September long weekend.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2006, 4:30 pm 

I picked up a hiking guide to the Bonaparte, but it does list the Tuwut Lake route. There is also Lupin Lake route listed. The latter is quite short. The former is a couple of days, perhaps three or four. I've heard that because of the elevation, snow would still be on the ground this time of year. I intend to do Tuwut sometime in early July.

Erich