It is currently August 19th, 2018, 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2001, 7:03 pm 
I'm planning a 2-night trip on the Serpentine Lake Loop next weekend (north of Peterborough near Apsley). Is this a nice trip ... the portages are long and I'm not keen on schlepping a canoe for 1500 meters to a swamp. Are the portages well marked? What's better for camping, Copper Lake or Serpentine? Any tips are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 13th, 2001, 8:47 pm 

I was pleased with the serpentine when I did it a couple of years back. We followed Kevin Callan's description of the route, and had no trouble at all. The 1600 portage isn't all that brutal, but the end is VERY steep (Downhill if you follow Kevin's Description in Cottage Country Routes - Available from this site). Most of the portage is across flat rock with cairns along the way to mark the trail. Other portages left no bad memories. Be sure to check out the waterfalls. We did the trip as a one nighter, and thought it could be done as a day trip so you should be able to take it easy and do some fishing along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2001, 2:44 pm 

We did this route last year, again following the route outlined in "Cottage Country Canoe Routes". The long portage from North Rathbun to Serpentine isn't bad at all. We stopped for lunch part way along to give ourselves a break.
North Rathbun lake is a smaller lake that we didn't spend much time on, but Sertpentine is a very nice lake. We camped on the island site. Very nice except for the assorted junk left behind by previous campers. Copper Lake is just as nice but camping on Serpentine breaks the trip up more evenly.
Which ever you choose, it's worth the time to do this trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2001, 2:05 am 

Always liked Serpentine, one of my fav's. Decent bass fishing in Serpentine, and not too bad pickeral fishing in Copper if you're after a shore lunch (pan sized fish only). The 1500m portage sounds worse than it is, but most times I just go straight to Copper if I only have two days and make a day trip up to Serpentine to fish for bass then head home. There's a bit of bear activity in the area, and watch out for the "wild cows", those puppies know no fear and think nothing of squashing your tent and eating your breakfast. Think it's just my luck though, I always run into them and have a hard time, but other paddlers I've steered up that way never saw them, I dunno, I guess they just like my fried granola breakfasts :smile:

Post subject: Re: Serpentine Lake Loop
PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 8:13 am 

How long does it take to Canoe and Portage to Lake Serpentine?

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 9:35 am 

I understand there are ATV trails back up in there. Was noise a consideration?

PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 10:14 am 

@Jason D, you can get to Serpentine Lake easily in one day (not a full day). Unlostify's online map can give you a sense of the time required: https://www.unlostify.com

@open_side_up, I have never had an issue with ATV noise on Serpentine Lake.

Serpentine Lake is one of the nicer lakes in Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park in my opinion.