It is currently August 19th, 2018, 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Madawaska Canoe Co.
PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 10:22 am 

Tried doing a search of the forum, but found no results...

Anyone have any experience with Madawaska Canoe Co? They are located in St.Catharines Ontario, and seem to make a whole host of different fiberglass and kevlar boats. I am in the market for a kevlar light/ ultra-light boat. They seem to have a good price point, but I don't want to buy crap either...

Any advice?

-A

http://www.madawaskacanoes.com/

Post subject: Re: Madawaska Canoe Co.
PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 12:13 pm 

I've never seen their boats beyond the website.... but, I saw enough that I know for me I wouldn't buy any of their boats. The reality is that for me, none of their boats will offer me what I want from a canoe. I have a certain expectation with regards to how the boat will perform, and be manufactured, and I know from looking at the pictures that these boats won't fulfill that expectation. So despite the good price point, it's not worth my investment. I would buy a 10 year old kevlar canoe model that I like from a manufacturer I know instead.

Now for you that might be an entirely different situation. The designs may very well meet your usage needs. If those are to acquire a new kevlar boat for a very low price... then these are your boats, and unfortunately, I'm not the guy you want telling you my opinion of these boats.

PK

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 2:31 pm 

Quote:
I don't want to buy crap...

Aaarghhhh... most of their canoes are built with keels. They describe keels making their canoes user-friendly, but there may be another reason, maybe to stiffen a floppy hull (and possibly at the cost of performance).

Most well-designed canoes these days aren't built with keels... just a little heads-up if you want to develop your paddling skills further.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 4:10 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

frozentripper wrote:
Aaarghhhh... most of their canoes are built with keels. They describe keels making their canoes user-friendly,

Hmmm, sounds like a putative case of peddling canoes with training wheels.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 4:57 pm 

Thanks for the tips guys. Ended up settling for a Swift Kipawa. Was the right price-weight- distance-from-my-house-point-timing-point. Its a good boat maker (or so i hear). I'm sure you'll all have pros/cons about it. I suppose ill figure them out on the water :)

Thanks again,

-A

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 5:05 pm 

Hiker Neil wrote:
frozentripper wrote:
Aaarghhhh... most of their canoes are built with keels. They describe keels making their canoes user-friendly,

Hmmm, sounds like a putative case of peddling canoes with training wheels.

Not really. There are many keeled canoes historically. Keels can be useful for sailing canoes but those are significant keels. Not three lengthwise mini projections.

There is at least one accomplished paddler here that has logged many a mile in a keeled canoe. And she bears a weapon :rofl: Better be careful my friend,

Small keels are marketed as making tracking easier. They really don't. A well designed hull for tracking will do better. What they do do is lend some strength to an otherwise questionably durable bottom. But no manufacturer is going to admit to having a potentially floppy bottom.

Another clue that makes me want to run is the emblem Kevlar. That aramid is copyrighted by Dupont if its Kevlar 49. Kevlar No Number makes me suspicious.(there are others)

Also reading this

Quote:
16' Prospector No Keel. Fast water here we come! The Prospector is a great canoe for fast water, with no keel it's easy to maneuver. Recommended for advanced or eager canoeist.

Features lightweight Primary Aramid Fiber hull with Some Fiberglass & Carbon Fiber cargo & keel reinforcement construction. To improve tear-resistance, Using an light outer layer of fibreglass with a layer or two of Aramid Fiber woven into the cloth is light, adds rigidity, and offers excellent resistance to tearing. Quality hand Laid Kevlar Consruction, Light yet reinforced in all the key locations Featuring extra layers in the keel and bottom for stonger durability.Our proprietory layup of Kevlar & Carbon Fiber materials make this one tough Canoe!

Keeless canoes turn more quickly but dont track as well. Beginners, fisherman, families with children like the user-friendly feel of keels. Experienced and whitewater paddlers tend to prefer the manuverability a keeless canoe provides.

Is there a keel or is there not?. "a layer or two of Aramid Fiber" (might not be Dupont..and if so they are correct in not mentioning Kevlar as that is a copyrighted name..yet elsewhere they throw out the word Kevlar). Is it one or two? "Some" does not indicate precise boatbuilding.

Tear resistance is not a quality of Kevlar. Most quality canoes have thirty to forty pieces of fabric..some partials, some footballs and some blankets.

I also steer clear of websites who scatter capital letters all around a paragraph when they re not needed.

Looking at 40 lb Prospector at 16 feet, I suspect there are not enough footballs in the bottom. That is a bit too light for boat at that price. Vacuum infusion might lend that weight but that process involves expensive machinery and the cost would be quite a bit higher.

I think you get what you pay for. Having never paddled one I ought not blast it so bad but its not for me. Perhaps its fine for a first canoe. I started off with a Grumman and it failed to kill me.

Egad... after writing all this out.. I see you bought a Swift Kipawa!

IMO you made a wise choice :rofl:

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 5:28 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Very interesting post RSN. In actual fact, I once paddled a canoe that had not one but 3 keels that ran stem to stern (if you could call them that) from Vermillion Bay Ont. to Falcon Lake Man. The company name? Bluewater Boats.

I was a beginner so training wheels would have been OK.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 6:04 pm 

Keels are very good for outfitters. Protects their investment from the effects of dragging.

I think of training wheels as sponsons..but on some old wooden boats sponsons are really lovely.

Jousting anyone? Its easier with sponsons. Alas a lost art due to the influence of liability insurance.

HN I paddled a two piece canoe down the length of Long Lake in the ADK's early on. One piece was the canoe. The other piece was the gunwales. Many of us have paddled and tripped in what we might call marginal craft to be polite.

I am guilty of a mega hijack.. Perhaps a new thread is in order...unlikely craft you have done big expeditions in. The Peake Brothers could sure add some examples.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 7:55 am 

And the website is gone - I wonder if they are still around. Found this thread looking for something else and started reading it out of curiosity.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 5:27 pm 

There's still a facebook page, but hasn't been updated for a long time:

https://www.facebook.com/MadawaskaCanoes/

But it indicates that they are based in Madawaska, not St. Catharines. (As OP suggested.)

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 5:21 pm 

THIS is the place I know Rolf :-) Back when I was looking into buying my first canoe in 2013 I found this guy on kijiji and exchange quite a few emails with him. I was going to drop in on him on the way to Alqonquin Park but when I got there I realized it was just some guy in his back shop. Good on him if he was able to do it, but that's not the canoe for me. On the facebook page I see the shop and recognize it. And then I went searching through my emails and sure enough there he was :-)