It is currently May 26th, 2018, 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 18th, 2017, 8:35 pm 

Hey folks,

I spend a lot of time on various parts of the Mississippi around Crotch Lake, Almonte, and Pakenham, and have it in my head that I should try to do the whole thing. Maybe over the course of a summer or two.

Just wondering where the gotchas are.

Looks to me like the most navigable part of the upper Mississippi is the Mazinaw Lake - does not look like there is much above it that you can paddle. Is that right?

Then down into Kashwashamak and to Crotch Lake. I know that I'd need to portage a good km or more around Sidedam rapids at the top of Crotch - what about in between there?

Then Crotch down to the power dam and into Kings Lake I've done, and at the far end of King's Lake is a pretty wicked set of rapids that no human could ever paddle - so portage. Is there a portage route?

I've never really done much below there other than bits and pieces around Almonte and Pakenham.

Anyone an expert?

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 6:15 am 

Pretty sure someone on here paddled the entire river a few years ago. Mississippi Valley Conservation has, or had, a map of the entire river. You could call them and see if it is still available. I have a copy somewhere that I can try and dig up. Some sections have good ww in the spring, but by July most years the rapids are pretty bony.
rab

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 6:45 am 

"Then Crotch down to the power dam and into Kings Lake I've done, and at the far end of King's Lake is a pretty wicked set of rapids that no human could ever paddle - so portage."

I've paddled this rapid in a solo whitewater canoe. By no means is it impossible, but I wouldn't try it in a tripping canoe. ;)

I found this linked from the North Frontenanc Parklands website. It should help:
http://mvc.on.ca/paddling-ontarios-mississippi/

I have spent a fair amount of time on Crotch Lake and Kashwakamak Lake and this is a very beautiful area. I haven't paddled much of the Mississippi, so can't provide personal details other then the above mentioned rapid.

Good luck.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 8:12 am 

Wow! Though only time I ever saw the exit from King's Lake was end of May so I am guessing you did it during a MUCH calmer time of year.

Thanks for the tips - I should have thought about MVCA

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 9:12 am 

We usually camp on Crotch lake in August. I bring my motor boat and a couple of us will bring our OC1s. We will throw the canoes into the motor boat and head over to the dam, park the motor boat and paddle down to the rapid on the other end of Kings lake and play for a while. It is a series of 3 good drops within a short distance at that level. There is usually a decent surf wave at the bottom too. It is a great spot for a picnic lunch.

High water would be another story I think.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 8:03 am 

You can paddle the river above Mazinaw, depending on the flow. One can put in on Kilpecker Creek on the Irving Lake forest access road, just off Hwy 41.

The route is well defined all the way down to Dalhousie Lake, where after that private lands and less use may obscure portages and finding campsites is difficult.

http://mvc.on.ca/paddling-ontarios-mississippi/

PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 11:17 am 

Long time, no hear Alscool. How are you and Dogscool doing? :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 9:40 am 

wotrock wrote:

Hi wotrock, I'm OK, but poor ole dogscool passed on. He was 13 and diabetic for his last two years. What an experience that was, I would certainly think twice about taking that commitment on again.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 10:05 pm 

Kevin Callan's A Paddler's Guide To Ontario (2003) has an 8-page chapter on the Mississipi River and includes useful maps.

https://www.amazon.ca/Paddlers-Guide-On ... 1550463853

Check out this link for a more recent (2014) description of the complete route with maps and portages -

http://mvc.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/201 ... -Route.pdf

https://albinger.me

PostPosted: June 26th, 2017, 7:59 am 

alscool wrote:
wotrock wrote:

Hi wotrock, I'm OK, but poor ole dogscool passed on. He was 13 and diabetic for his last two years. What an experience that was, I would certainly think twice about taking that commitment on again.

Sorry to hear that, Alscool. Knowing that a death is inevitable either for a dog or a person doesn't seem to help much in the event.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2017, 8:01 am 

TN---I think Callan's book has a report on the York and Little Miss. I didn't think it had anything on the Miss, as such.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 4:28 pm 

Anyone know the portion below Packenham? I found a few references in google that suggest you can paddle unobstructed right down to the power dam at Galetta. And it seems to suggest the current is mild enough that you could paddle back up if you wanted.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 8:23 pm 

Does this help? YIS
http://www.raccc.ca/index.php/route-des ... t-pakenham

https://cankayak.wordpress.com/2011/07/ ... r-ontario/

https://paddling.com/paddle/locations/p ... 75&zoom=14

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2018, 7:50 am 

Yes one of those was exactly what I was looking for - thanks.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 6:52 pm 

I used to stay at Morrows cabins and really enjoyed Crotch and Kings. Really beautiful scenery and decent fishing. Not for the purist lots of motor boats.
I used to camp on Crotch the weekend after Thanksgiving. I would wait for the parks guy in the orange vest to finish checking the campsites and leave around noon before I set up camp in a back bay. Usually had the place to myself.
I've gone as far as ragged chutes road , portaage trails below kings were on the right if I recall. Water levels below the dam were good in August.