It is currently May 26th, 2018, 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 11:43 am 

I think the entire community was saddened when you stepped down from the business. From outside looking in it certainly seems like the company is lost without you.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm 

Does anyone have a URL for the French River map? Can't see it on the website and feel a desperate need to get hold of it before the website goes dark.

Then I'll go right back to mourning the de-Jeffication of Jeff's Maps.

Major disaster. Major.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2017, 8:15 am 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
Jeff, can't let your self-deprecation go unanswered. Your maps are brilliant, cartographically inspirational, and providing them free online was an incredible act of kindness. Backcountry campers in Ontario have benefited immensely from them. They have facilitated dozens of trips for me that I otherwise wouldn't have had the information and therefore confidence to attempt. Besides, much larger and more well-funded organizations have errors in their maps too.

Learning now that I've done the wrong portage into Colin Scott three times over that "cliff" does make me a bit cross-eyed, but for Pete's sake, that's just the thrill of adventure. The reality is that a static map and one person cannot keep up with the volume of information that exists for the multitude of backcountry camping routes in Ontario.

I'm a GIS'er and I've got a rough plan to create an online, printer-friendly Backcountry Camper's Atlas (hopefully over this winter) which would involve a number of authorized/trusted contributors adding to the map with their GPS tracks, campsites, annotations, etc. Current plan is to use the Google JavaScript API. This could never match your maps' Adobe aesthetics, but would facilitate real-time updates and allow for the collective knowledge of many paddlers to be combined in one place without the bottleneck of one person having to process all of the additions. And the interactivity of a web-based product would allow users to submit feedback on the data (e.g. a user could submit a comment on the portage that says that the Colin Scott portage is actually over yonder). There are so many Google MyMaps, old static maps, scanned maps, trip reports, and "napkin sketches" out there---not to mention SO many routes that are known but which do not have a proper map yet. My goal is to consolidate them into this one atlas.

Yeah JK, I kinda picked up from where you left off with regards to a mapping project. I'll have a bunch of the ones listed here on it: https://www.explorethebackcountry.com/tripmap They're going to be released in a batch and should be out late winter following the QEIIW PP update. Print ready and tied to each trip report and linked to the route map.

I had an idea with regards to a "Master GIS Layer". LIO has a trail layer which includes portages, campsites, launches etc. This is quite outdated, but it contains a lot of the data from the old MNR canoe pamphlets. I had envisioned a share platform where users add to the layers and constantly update it with new information post trip. There's a similar project launched by the Ontario Trails Project: http://trailmaps.gregorypleau.com/ You can download the maps directly to a user friendly platform like Google Earth or maps or add it to your GPS. It would require a small group of volunteers to supply/update data. Jeff and Co have a ton of data, I do and I'm sure plenty of others do as well. If there was an 'upload gpx tracks' option on the site, users could submit their own data post trip as well.

This likely merits its own thread, and if interested we can start something.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 12:23 pm 

@NorseScotsman - Thanks so much :) It really means a lot!

@Prospector16 - Yea, I did something similar for Brad to get his Queen Elizabeth Wildlands map printed, and that's what I did before printing my maps in quantity. The biggest downside is that this is fairly expensive and it doesn't really work for retail (if you want the map to be folded, it has to be hand folded, and you can only print on one side of the sheet). I don't remember the exact split between retail and online for Jeff's Map, but the majority of sales were at retail. More than anything that's to say, it's an awesome way to get a map printed in lower volumes, but I don't think it scales well to the size needed for me to be able to make maps full time again. But that said, there's always the option of doing the maps as a hobby again.

@Rawcardo - Hehe thanks! I certainly will stay! It was my enjoyment of canoeing that got me started making maps, so maps or no maps, I'll be here :D

@gnatwest - :(. Yea.....

@cmkl - I don't think I ever gave anyone the final version, but by memory the draft I sent to some people for review wasn't _that_ much older. I think Brad and David Lee have it amongst other people? I sent it to a good handful of people, but those are the two names that stick out in my mind.

@Stajanleafs - Woot! Go Brad!

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 6:27 pm 

Stajanleafs wrote:
Yeah JK, I kinda picked up from where you left off with regards to a mapping project. I'll have a bunch of the ones listed here on it: https://www.explorethebackcountry.com/tripmap They're going to be released in a batch and should be out late winter following the QEIIW PP update. Print ready and tied to each trip report and linked to the route map.

I had an idea with regards to a "Master GIS Layer". LIO has a trail layer which includes portages, campsites, launches etc. This is quite outdated, but it contains a lot of the data from the old MNR canoe pamphlets. I had envisioned a share platform where users add to the layers and constantly update it with new information post trip. There's a similar project launched by the Ontario Trails Project: http://trailmaps.gregorypleau.com/ You can download the maps directly to a user friendly platform like Google Earth or maps or add it to your GPS. It would require a small group of volunteers to supply/update data. Jeff and Co have a ton of data, I do and I'm sure plenty of others do as well. If there was an 'upload gpx tracks' option on the site, users could submit their own data post trip as well.

This likely merits its own thread, and if interested we can start something.

Can't wait to see your new maps Brad.

It would be great to make it happen. As Dan noted, it would never have the depth and beauty as the top static/print maps out there. But it wouldn't even have to be that pretty. The real goal is to un-silo the raw data and make it accessible. However, it would still be a lot of work, and making static maps is a lot more creative and fun, so it's hard to divert time from that when there's so much that can be done on that. Looking at David's recent post about his maps, your upcoming maps, and more and more well-designed maps being produced all the time now that GIS is so much more user-friendly, maybe pretty static maps are the best option.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 6:37 pm 

Agreed 100% Jonathan!

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 11:19 am 

Hey folks. I know that this is an older thread, but I just wanted to chime in to say that I am totally supportive of the idea of an online crowd-sourced map database. I usually track my canoe routes, portages, and campsites with a Garmin GPSmap 64 and would be happy to be able to contribute to a "living" map of Ontario's lakes and rivers.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 1:07 pm 

It is still on my radar ...