It is currently October 17th, 2018, 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 11:11 am 

I'm planning a canoe trip this summer to Temagami with my son, our first trip in 17 years. His business is such that he has to be in constant touch. His cell phone provider is Verizon. Can anyone tell me if there is reliable cell phone service in the Temagami area?

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 11:41 am 

Providers usually have coverage maps if you go to their website. Pretty easy to determine.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 11:42 am 

I have to think it's unlikely you'll get good service far from highway 11. Someone else could probably answer better than myself. I'm just going off of this: https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 11:43 am 

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/ove ... e-map.html

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 12:04 pm 

Thanx. We're doing the loop from central access through Shiningwood Bay, Wasasinka Lake, Cross Lake, Portage Bay, Cross Bay and back to central access. Does anyone know how coverage is on this loop?

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 6:31 pm 

Did you check the map I posted against the loop map?

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 10:50 pm 

Yes, I did. Thanx. And I called Verizon, Temagami Outfitting Co. and a hotel just north of the central access. Verizon told me there is coverage. Temagami Outfitting and the hotel told me coverage is spotty. We're looking in to renting a satellite phone.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 7:32 pm 

I have Verizon and have done that route and am in the Temagami area. You definitely cannot count on getting cell service. There are random areas in the woods, or at the top of cliffs where you can get reception but don't count on it.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 9:39 pm 

Thank you

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 7:10 am 

Company provided coverage maps are often a little on the optimistic side.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 8:44 am 

Thank you. That's what I'm hearing from everyone

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 11:25 am 

High points are your friend -- but not something I would count on!

Depending on how the roaming plan with Verizon is set up, you may be able to tell the phone which Canadian provider to lock on to at any given time.

On the iPhone this setting is under "Carrier". Default mode is to have the phone set to "Automatic". In my experience, this usually means that the phone will lock onto only its preferred network (Verizon may have a particular Canadian provider whose network they tap into), and so you can be left with "No Service" even though another provider may actually have a bit of service where you are.

Switching off the automatic setting should display all of the providers that your phone is currently detecting. I travel often in the US and further abroad and this technique has often helped me out in the remote places I find myself in.

story...

This past winter I needed to get a message out to our safety contacts that we would be extending our trip by about a week. We were fairly far into Temagami backcountry and it was cold - my little thermometer bottoms out at -35C, and so it was at least that cold. With a young pup in tow we found a high point on the map and spent the better part of a day bush whacking to the top -- cell service! And a wonderful (albeit cold and windy) view. I'm okay with pockets of cell service, but am appreciative of the areas where it isn't able to penetrate.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 6:43 pm 

Thank you. Because cell service in Temagami is unreliable and because different people in LeDomaine gave me different answers as to whether cell service was available on La Verendrye's Route 15, we, unfortunately, decided to forego the canoe trip this year. Hopefully next year will be different.