It is currently August 20th, 2018, 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 16th, 2018, 6:34 am 

I suspect the reason folders, and assisted folders in particular, are receiving this attention is due to the same reasons I and many others like these tools ie. they're small, portable, and easily opened/closed. This makes them ideal for concealment in a social and urban setting. The statistics I found from 2016 show youth violent crime numbers soaring, with knife crime a particular problem. Perhaps by banning assisted folders the powers that be are taking the easiest route to dealing with these stats, given the issues raised with carding and profiling in city environs where most of these crimes take place, and by trying to ban all folders they're hoping to simplify an already rudimentary plan towards removing a weapon source from our streets. I'm not sure where this will all lead, but as an occasional folder user I'm not too optimistic, but I'm also not seeing all doom and gloom just yet. Being somewhat sceptical I'm guessing that although banning folders might not greatly reduce crimes it will give law enforcement one more charge to apply to suspects. This is the first I've heard of this, and thought at first it was just one more bit of fake news fluff. We'll see how this develops.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 9:22 am 

I would question the word "most" in the thread title. Given that CT lists 60 different folding knives (after excluding the utility knives in tools & hardware) with about 45 different models in stock just at my 'local' store there would appear to be plenty of options readily available.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2018, 10:11 am 

Seems like a good opportunity for a Canadian knife maker to fill the void, since only imports are excluded.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 8:21 am 

RHaslam wrote:
Seems like a good opportunity for a Canadian knife maker to fill the void, since only imports are excluded.

Grohmann Knives in Pictou N.S. has been a favourite of mine for many years. Good drop point fixed blades and some nice folders.

Ken

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 10:20 am 

Pictou County - my old stompin' grounds. Great knives - I have quite a few of their kitchen knives.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 7:21 am 

This one is quite drool worthy. http://www.gknives.com/index.php/produc ... ade-detail

They make a few more in the less expensive range too. I don't need more knives, but I am tempted. Grew up in Nova Scotia, my dad always had a Grohmann hanging off his belt during hunting season.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 10:07 am 

RHaslam wrote:
This one is quite drool worthy. http://www.gknives.com/index.php/produc ... ade-detail

They make a few more in the less expensive range too. I don't need more knives, but I am tempted. Grew up in Nova Scotia, my dad always had a Grohmann hanging off his belt during hunting season.

.....and if you check out their "clearance" section you'll find an R340SD for half price, $42.88 Nice size pocket knife.