It is currently November 17th, 2018, 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Assiniboine Day Trip
PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 9:06 pm 

Hi all,

Not much of a trip report; but it was my first time out this year and I was itching to get out on the water. The Assiniboine is pretty low right now, the Headingly station was reporting about 50 cms. I don't remember the river being this low in the spring but I have never really paddled the river all that much since my late teen years.

I used Charles Burchill's site at https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~burchil/p ... ssiniboine to have a look at some possible put ins. I went with my bow paddler to scout the moving water section (small rapids) from the rail bridge at Omand park. There was a swift current with small standing waves but we decided we could handle it and went to Assiniboine Park to put in under the bridge.

It was a nice paddle until we got to the point just before the Kenaston bridge where there was a swift current and small rapids. Somehow I failed to take those into account when reading Charles' website! Being relative newbies, we somehow wound up heading into the rapids and bridge pillars backwards. We straightened the canoe out and made it through with no problem but it was a bit of an eye opener.

Our second challenge came when we approached the rail bridge at Omand Park a few minutes later. The river was quite shallow and we ran aground for moment. We had to push off the rocky bottom with our paddles. I'm glad we managed to get free because I don't think getting out to free the canoe (even in shin deep water) would have been a good idea. After pushing off with our paddles, we went to the left of a small island while still hitting the shallow rocky bottom with our paddles in the hopes of finding deeper water. It was not until we were almost at the bridge that it got deep again. We went through the rapid with relative ease having gone through the deeper channel closest to river right. Scouting ahead of time certainly helps.

From there the rest of the paddle was relaxed. We had some rain but nothing too bad. we did notice quite a few shopping carts, road barricades, road signs, and even an old coin operated Winnipeg Sun paper box along the banks of the river. Our take out was at the dock at St.B. Total trip time was about 1.5 hours.

Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: Assiniboine Day Trip
PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 11:14 pm 

Thanks for sharing!