It is currently December 10th, 2018, 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Helinox chair question
PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 2:44 am 

So I have a Helinox Chair One and a few years ago lost one of the feet of a back leg and have tried everything I can think of to stop the dang thing sinking into the ground every time I sit down.
Rock and roots placed under the leg never stay there and slipping a tennis ball over the feet work great for the 3 legs with the feet still attached but the one takes about 5 minutes for the leg to punch a perfect circle thought the bottom.
Helinox has put out a $40.00 set of silicone feet to help with the sinking problems but their website says that without the original feet they will not stay on.
Right now I am down to dishing a thin piece of stainless steel and epoxying it to a small tennis ball I found at the dollar store in the pet dept or finding something the same diameter as the chair leg, wrapping it in something that will not stick to epoxy and pumping one of those small pet tennis balls full and inserting it until everything cures.
But before I get to carried away I know I am not the only one to loose a foot of one of these chairs so I thought I was ask what you all have done to solve this problem?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 6:20 am 

I lost one of my feet for my Helinox chair. I contacted the company and received no response (not impressed). The silicone feet are far too heavy to use and, like you said, they won't work if you lost a foot.

I ended up going with their Ground Sheet (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-593/Ground-Sheet-Camp-Chair). Although pricey, it works even if a foot is missing and it really helps prevent your chair from sinking in so you won't lose more feet.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 6:42 am 

we got a reply, and we did end up having to order a set. I did pont out to them that the foot went flying despite CAREFUL removal of the ground sheet.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 8:28 am 

I can second the Helinox ground sheet. Keeps legs together and distributes weight over a larger area.
Also rolls up around the chair and fits in bag with it.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 9:43 am 

Like all wonderful gear innovations, they're amazing in the beginning, but less so after heavy use...
My Helinox shed one of its rubber foot plugs on my ice-out trip. I tried various bark and flat stones to stop its sliding into the forest humus. I've often used a closed cell foam multi-use pad that comes with me on trips, but the naked foot peg plowed right through it. I did a "repair" with a plastic oil can spout lid (about the diameter of a quarter) glued into a tight ball of inner-tube rubber and the entire wound then wrapped in duct-tape. It might work for a while. I don't appreciate Helinox's 40$ solution to poorly-engineered chair feet. Ridiculous! Makes the cheapy knock-offs look a little better than they did. Some of them come with the ball-sized feet already.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 1:19 pm 

What's the outside diameter of the foot tubing? Would a replacement cane tip work? (maybe with some shimming?) They make them to fit 5/8" canes ... for a couple of bucks. Many of them have a steel washer in them to prevent "push-through" ... or add a washer if they don't. Just a thought.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 6:32 pm 

Loonie and duct tape. Handy man's friend always works in the end. This tip will cost you a buck.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 6:38 pm 

Drill a hole in a golf ball and glue it to the leg. Still fits in the sack if this matters

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 10:42 pm 

DougB wrote:
Drill a hole in a golf ball and glue it to the leg. Still fits in the sack if this matters

Great idea and the next solution to try.
Thanks

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 1:33 am 

martin2007 wrote:
Like all wonderful gear innovations, they're amazing in the beginning, but less so after heavy use...
My Helinox shed one of its rubber foot plugs on my ice-out trip. I tried various bark and flat stones to stop its sliding into the forest humus. I've often used a closed cell foam multi-use pad that comes with me on trips, but the naked foot peg plowed right through it. I did a "repair" with a plastic oil can spout lid (about the diameter of a quarter) glued into a tight ball of inner-tube rubber and the entire wound then wrapped in duct-tape. It might work for a while. I don't appreciate Helinox's 40$ solution to poorly-engineered chair feet. Ridiculous! Makes the cheapy knock-offs look a little better than they did. Some of them come with the ball-sized feet already.

I got one when they first came out and thought about replacing it recently as it has seen a lot of use. I couldn't believe for what was such an innovative piece of gear that they still haven't fixed the feet issue.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 10:13 pm 

Solution: Go to Home Hardware and get a set of 3/4-inch (I think) rubber leg tips. Replace them all for even setup. Four tips will cost $4.29. They gap a little on one side with use but so far working ok.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 9:26 am 

I've only used mine for wintercamping, since weight and space isn't as big an issue, I use salmon tins (I remove the salmon first) and they work fine on the packed snow. A bit of a pain if you need to move the chair, but in the tent it generally stays in one place.

The cans nest and they should fit in the bag.

Ken

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 8:56 am 

I spotted these at the Mountain Warehouse in Niagara-on-the-Lake a few weeks ago. These might work for the bottom of the chairs. (see photos)

Attachments:
20180706_171557.jpg
20180706_171557.jpg [ 150.36 KiB | Viewed 1062 times ]
20180706_171538.jpg
20180706_171538.jpg [ 136.25 KiB | Viewed 1062 times ]

PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 9:31 pm 

Didn't lose a chair foot, but did put cheap plastic practice golf balls (the ones that look like ping pong balls but with holes in 'em) that I bought at the dollar store on the four good feet, and have had better resistance to sinking, especially in hemlock forest.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 10:15 pm 

I bought this one. Works great and ships to Canada. I got 2 and the total was $38 usd. I refuse to pay big agnes for their version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Y ... UTF8&psc=1