It is currently July 17th, 2018, 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Berens River Flow
PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 7:40 am 

My father and I are planning on paddling the Berens from Little Grand Rapids to the newly opened road at the end of July or beginning of August. It is my understanding based on our conversation with the pilot doing our shuttle that the area is in a drought period right now. Does anyone have any insight to the potential flows that time of year? I have never paddled in this area and I am not familiar with how quickly or not the flows drop in the late summer on the Berens. We have some flexibility as to when we start our trip (between July 23-August 6), and are wondering if it might be especially important to start earlier this year given the drought.

Thank you in advance for any additional information you can provide!

Post subject: Re: Berens River Flow
PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 9:45 am 

What date is best will depend on rain.

My wife and I may cross paths with you. We're starting mid July from Wallace Lake. If there's enough water from Sasaginnigak to Family to float our boat, we should be at Little Grand around the beginning of August.

Everything in Eastern Manitoba is extremely low. Spring levels were at late fall levels. For an idea of how rivers are affected differently: early May I paddled the Manigotagan and most rapids were bump and grind. Two weeks later I paddled a few days up the Bloodvein and the four significant rapids we passed had good flow and nice features even though the river is at an extremely low level.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 2:05 pm 

You can get both historical and real time data here
https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/index_e.html
for the Bloodvein River, which is pretty close the Berens River.

It’s pool and drop, so if the water is low, the rapids will be low but the paddling between rapids should be fine.

As Neil said, it’s a low water year. Not much precipitation in March or April but it’s been raining a bit in later May and there is more rain in the forecast.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 6:58 pm 

I'm sure you are all aware of the fire at Little Grand Rapids right now. Both it and the Pauingassi Reserves have been evacuated. The fire has consumed where the Berens runs into Manitoba from Ontario.

It is out of control and roughly 30,000 hectares in size. There is also no power up there at the moment.

Karin

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 5:51 pm 

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I will have to keep an eye on the fires as our trip gets closer.

Neil, maybe we will see you out there!

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 6:12 pm 

Currently all restrictions are lifted. Check here for updates:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/fire/Restrictions/index.html

Travel is permitted under a Level 1 restriction but only by permit under a Level 2 restriction. Even with a Level 1 restriction you should let Sustainable Development (Natural Resources) that you are travelling.

Hopefully, we'll continue to get rain and we won't have to worry.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 10:15 am 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
Currently all restrictions are lifted. Check here for updates:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/fire/Restrictions/index.html

Travel is permitted under a Level 1 restriction but only by permit under a Level 2 restriction. Even with a Level 1 restriction you should let Sustainable Development (Natural Resources) that you are travelling.

Hopefully, we'll continue to get rain and we won't have to worry.

I talked with Jonathan at Blue Water Aviation about two weeks ago and he said that at that time the fires were under control. He also said that paddling west from Family Lake should be no problem since nothing was touched by the fires to the west of Family Lake. Hopefully that will not change. Perhaps we'll run into you and Ransom. We're putting in at Family Lake on July 31st and taking our own sweet time paddling out to the road (August 30th.) Do you know if the road is clearly marked, I'd like to pinpoint it on my map. Is there a map online that shows it?

PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 10:21 pm 

Here is a map of the project from the old East Side Road Authority:

Looking at satellite images you can locate the power line and the old winter road. I would've expected the road to line up with one of those but comparing to the map above, the road is east of both.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 12:48 pm 

Probably difficult to miss the new road.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 6:20 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
Here is a map of the project from the old East Side Road Authority:

Looking at satellite images you can locate the power line and the old winter road. I would've expected the road to line up with one of those but comparing to the map above, the road is east of both.

Thanks for this, Neil. This gives me a better idea how long a trip it will be from Family Lake.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2018, 7:51 pm 

Change of plans for us. We're worried we won't be able to get from Sassaginnigak to Family Lake due to the low water. Instead we'll be paddling upstream on the Berens then downstream on the Pigeon, doing a loop. We're putting in on July 17th so it's possible we may see you on the river.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
Change of plans for us. We're worried we won't be able to get from Sassaginnigak to Family Lake due to the low water. Instead we'll be paddling upstream on the Berens then downstream on the Pigeon, doing a loop. We're putting in on July 17th so it's possible we may see you on the river.

We're putting in at Family Lake on July 31st (my birthday!) We'll be moving quite slowly so, who knows. We'll keep our eyes peeled. Have a great trip.