It is currently July 17th, 2018, 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 10th, 2018, 9:55 am 

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/algonquin/backcountry/alerts

Note the explicit statement that "Biolite or other wood/charcoal burning stoves are not permitted."

Please be advised that a TOTAL FIRE BAN is in effect for all of Algonquin Provincial Park.

During a fire ban:

· - Campfires are not permitted at any time;

· - Charcoal or wood burning barbeques may not be used;

· - Portable gas/propane/naphtha stoves or barbecues that have a fuel source with a control valve may still be used;

· - Backcountry users must have a portable stove with a fuel shut-off valve. Biolite or other wood/charcoal burning stoves are not permitted.

The fire ban will remain in place until further notice and will be lifted as soon as conditions allow.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2018, 10:26 am 

So no alcohol stoves either?

PostPosted: July 10th, 2018, 10:49 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
So no alcohol stoves either?

Does it have a shutoff valve ?

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 6:37 am 

I believe that a trangia stove is fine because it has a cap that extinguish's the flame, but better call or ask at the permit office.

What I don't understand is; does Parks Ontario & the MNR not work together, or at lest shoot each other an email lol?? Two days ago (on the MNR website) the AP region was "RED" meaning extreme conditions but no fire ban. Yesterday & today the AP region is "YELLOW" meaning high conditions and still no ban.

http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca ... FES_ONLINE

So how does an area go from extreme to high on the MNR site and at the same time Ont Parks has implemented a fire ban. Something as serious as this and there's still a communication gap :tsk: I just don't get it sometimes.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 8:44 am 

I can't offer any sort of firm answer but I suspect it has to do with fire fighting resources.

Both Ontario and Quebec are getting help from fire crews being shipped in from other provinces. That would also mean that the really active areas like Temagami have already pulled all additional resources they can from other parts of Ontario.

That could fairly easily explain how Algonquin could actually have a reduced fire risk from a week ago but now also impose a fire ban because they are less able to react if a new fire breaks out.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 1:26 am 

Wilsauceez wrote:
I believe that a trangia stove is fine because it has a cap that extinguish's the flame, but better call or ask at the permit office.

An alcohol stove has a plate that snuffs out the flame by eliminating air, it does mot have a valve that stops the flow of fuel.
The act is pretty simple. If the flame is controlled by a valve then you are good to go. No valve equals a rather stern talking to and probably a rather thorough search of your campsite and full permit check followed by more talking to and whatever they decide to fine you with.
Now I have always thought one of these would come in handy during a fire ban but at 44lb it would be a b!itch to portage, not to mention the 20lb tank needed.
https://www.lowes.ca/fire-pits/napoleon-gpfp-2-patioflame-propane-gas-fire-pit-with-logs_g2967230.html

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 6:23 am 

Sooooo let me get this right...I can't cook with a alcohol stove or a stick stove because there's no "valve" (and I totally get that). FYI .... wanna see how fast I can extinguish my stick stove, when I knock it into the lake or pour 10L of water on it LOL.

However, people are still allowed to smoke with-in the parks with active fire bans. I don't have any stats to support this claim, but I'm willing to bet that more fires have been started by careless smokers then backcountry campers using AS or SS.

I know the Parks are doing the best they can (with limited resources), in preserving the parks and in making the best decision's for each and every PP. But, my point is, if a backcountry camper is sporting an alcohol stove or stick stove I'm willing to bet they're 100x's more responsible then any day visitor setting out on a trail and stopping to have a cigarette.

We ask smokers to use "common sense". How about asking backcountry'ers to use the same (MAYBE, no open fires in fire pits, but you can use an AS or SS on a bedrock surface). Not trying to be a hater or start a forum war, I'm just saying .... so IDK.

P.S. I don't hate smokers, I'm just comparing the safety of our natural recourse's between cigarettes and various forms of cooking.