It is currently December 10th, 2018, 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 10:05 am 

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip in Algonquin starting from the Brent access, doing a loop which includes Cedar, Radiant, Hogan, La Muir, Burntroot and Catfish. I'm much more familiar with the lakes and the winds in the southern and western parts of the park. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend which direction to do this loop in, in order to catch more tail winds than head winds? Of course I'll have some of both, but with a few long paddles I'd like to avoid battling a head wind on Hogan and La Muir specifically. Anyone know where the prevailing winds usually blow from up there? Any other advice?

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 1:45 pm 

The prevailing winds come from the west even in that area of Algonquin. I did that loop 2 years ago counterclockwise from cedar lake. We had tail winds on La Muir and Hogan. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 6:35 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I agree counter clockwise is the way to go. You could be battling a headwind on Perley though. Counter clockwise means you are also going down the 3.5k portage towards Radiant. Some folks I know have had trouble finding the Radiant end of that portage.

Doesn't really matter all that much for your route, but Radiant is half dried up right now. The eastern campsites might be a slog to get to.