It is currently December 10th, 2018, 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 11:38 am 

Howdy!

I have a buddy who is wanting to go camping he used to go a lot about 10 years ago. The 23d to 26th

I'm looking for a real wilderness experience, I've been looking at deep parts of Algonquin and Killarney.

We're looking for somewhere remote, quiet, 3 portages, nice views, preferably on a bigger lake with good fishing. Earlier this year I went to Clydegale Lake and really enjoyed it but I'm looking for one more step of wilderness.

I recently went to the Haliburton watertrails for the second time, the first was great but this second time I did two portages, one of which was 600m and when I got to the teeny lake, I could hear someone a few lakes over blasting kid rock's all summer long. I'm looking to avoid that haha.

I appreciate the suggestions! I've never been to killarney. We're both strong guys so shouldn't have too many problems.

Thank you thank you!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

Hey Oliver,

Even the "deep" parts of Algonquin are criss crossed with logging or "forest access " roads. So, it's possible and even likely that you might hear a truck or vehicle on one of the roads.

Regards,
MikeD.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 2:27 pm 

It's true that Algonquin has logging roads running almost everywhere but there are wilderness zones where logging is banned and the chance of hearing road noise is less.

You can use this map to find quieter areas... active haul roads, primary roads, road construction areas and active cutting areas will probably be noisy. The large grey areas include wilderness zones where logging is banned although that doesn't guarantee that roads won't be used.

http://algonquinforestry.on.ca/wp-conte ... Webmap.pdf

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 4:59 pm 

Thanks guy's

I'm wondering if any of you can point me to specific lake in either algonquin or Killarney for that real wilderness experience

Thanks!

PostPosted: August 10th, 2018, 7:39 am 

Quote:
The 23d to 26th

preferably on a bigger lake with good fishing.

August 23-26... ?

Try HappyIsle NW of Opeongo, it was pretty quiet when I was there late August. There are SM bass in it for warmwater fishing. There is one long port that helps keep people out, and another port to Redrock makes things more remote.

If it's Sept 23-26, brook trout could be biting with the colder water and there will be far fewer people in APP, and a lot more choice in lakes for fishing. Redrock and Nepawin hold both lake trout and brook trout.

It'll probably be hard to reserve good campsites in Killarney during August... but Sandy lake near Silver peak has a nice remote feel to it since it isn't on a popular canoe route. There's no fishing IIRC and many Killarney lakes are closed to fishing due to acid from Sudbury. Some of the lakes in the NE portion of the park hold pike and might not be crowded... check online for info, good luck.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 5:31 pm 

Seems some of your criteria conflict with the concept of "real" wilderness. Any good fishing only 3 portages deep is not going to be quiet because others will be there too. Also, if you're two "strong guys," why wouldn't you go deeper (ie more portages) to acquire a "real" wilderness experience?

I guess long or grueling portages could get you to a less traveled lake with good fishing, but there are few "real" wilderness experiences anywhere in a park these days.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 4:00 pm 

Wilderness is subjective for many... some say anything north of Barrie is wilderness. Others gotta have Antarctica. In this thread, it seems to be an APP place wilder than Clydegale.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 7:07 pm 

It's like **** - I can't describe it but I know it when I see it, and I know what it ain't when I see it. Calling parks "wilderness" is like calling Reuben's paintings ****.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 11:52 am 

Hey Oliver, I am a fan of frozentripper choice and a regular of that route
Lake Opeongo North Arm to Happy Isle, then Happy Isle to Red Rock or I prefer Merchant. Merchant is the clearest water in the park You can see right to the bottom in most places (its like Tobermory). Fishing is generally always good, but Trout will be very deep. If you want a lake all to yourself, from Merchant go to Chickaree, only one campsite, and I have never seen anyone there before. I have never seen much traffic out there but will admit I have never been in Aug when the park is at its busiest.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 8:23 am 

Thanks guys, I ended up booking leech lake in Killarney, if I'd had more time then I probably would have gone elsewhere.

I'm working up to more wilderness, soon I'll have a shotgun and that will take me more remote

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 6:30 pm 

Why would you need a shotgun to go more remote?

From a guy who lives in the boonies and owns several shotguns but only takes them canoeing when he wants to shoot something. Or when bearanoia folks are travelling with me, sometimes they make me bring a gun for their peace of mind. Probably more habituated bears in APP then in the boonies, aka wilderness, where I live.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 4:49 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
Why would you need a shotgun to go more remote?

From a guy who lives in the boonies and owns several shotguns but only takes them canoeing when he wants to shoot something. Or when bearanoia folks are travelling with me, sometimes they make me bring a gun for their peace of mind. Probably more habituated bears in APP then in the boonies, aka wilderness, where I live.

I have only had bear trouble in New Jersey.. I should carry a shotgun there. One ruined my car by running across the road with no time to stop.

Now griz country yes shotgun.. I just read of two teens who paddled from MN to Hudson Bay.. No shotgun. Just a few settlements of FN in the north.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2018, 10:10 am 

I have lead groups (of kids) to some pretty wilderness areas (northern Ontario) and not once took a gun. Its un necessary.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2018, 1:23 pm 

RAY1984 wrote:
I have lead groups (of kids) to some pretty wilderness areas (northern Ontario) and not once took a gun. Its un necessary.

If you or I were to go to the shore of Hudson Bay in Manitoba or even toward Ontario there I bet we would like a shotgun..
Bear Spray is likely more effective. and its handy for other pests.

The notion of parks as wilderness is kind of mindblowing.. No matter which way you head in Algonquin you are surrounded by roads so ...is it wilderness?

Is wilderness in time? We finished up a five day canoe trip in Northern Maine and saw very few people. Water was low ; maybe that the reason.. Yet though for a couple of hundred miles there are no towns in the US, it still boggles me that thirty miles away there is farmland in Quebec.

Wilderness is elusive....and a slippery definition that changes with time and your persepective changes too with experience.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2018, 3:16 pm 

That's a fair point to an extent, I have led trips to James bay though and not once even considered a gun.