It is currently August 19th, 2018, 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maitland River
PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 8:38 pm 

Does anybody know if the river near Goderich has any flatwater sections that might be suitable for 2 adults plus 2 kids (11 and 6) in a canoe/

We are camping at Point Farms park on the w/e.

thx

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Re: Maitland River
PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 12:12 pm 

As an avid Steelhead fisherman who frequents the Maitland every spring and fall for the Trout runs, I must say I have never seen a spot yet where I thought putting my canoe in and going for a paddle would work. I am generally in the area of the mouth to about 20KM upstream. So I cannot speak to further upstream and its conditions. It is generally fast , shallow and can be rocky.
With that being said, I am spring and fall on the river when water levels tend to be highest, I have no idea what the conditions may be like during summer when levels are much lower and slower.
I would suggest calling some local fishing stores or outfitters and they may be able to suggest something if there is an area suitable for paddling.
You may wish to try the Saugeen River upstream of Denny's Dam. I know there is allot of paddling done there. Downside is it will take about 40min drive North on 21 from Downtown Goodrich area. Google the Saugeen River Canoe Route I know Thorncrest Outfitters lists all the paddling areas and excursions they run in that area on their website.

Good Luck, let me know if you find something suitable I would be interested to know where it was.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey