It is currently November 17th, 2018, 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Portage pain
PostPosted: September 13th, 2018, 6:33 pm 

I heard Cliff Jacobson suggesting looking in a mirror to see how your pads contact your shoulders. We all vary so some pads may be on edge and really hurting.

Last edited by Marten on September 14th, 2018, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2018, 7:50 pm 

Think the market is big enough to support a business making custom yokes ... based off individualized impressions taken with plaster or foam kits, kinda like orthotics?

PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 5:52 am 

Bell will 3D scan your melon and make a bespoke motorcycle helmet for you. I presume the current manufacturing process for deep-dish wooden yokes involves a CNC mill, so there is zero cost for feeding it a different program. The expense is the initial purchase/set-up of the scanning equipment, and then the challenge of getting people to actually come in to get scanned.

In my case, it must be a technique thing. Even if the yoke didn't fit absolutely perfectly, there are too many people that would be negatively impacted by the pain I experienced. I'm 46 and in reasonably good shape. I've watched videos of older, more husky folks doing portages and while they are not all smiles, they certainly seem to be having an easier time of it. So, what I've taken from this thread is that I need a properly fitted painter, to take more breaks, and to practice/train with my 80lb boat.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 6:36 am 

scratchypants wrote:
So, what I've taken from this thread is that I need a properly fitted painter, to take more breaks, and to practice/train with my 80lb boat.

Well, you're much younger than I am (.... I'm an ol' pensioner lady at 72.... :( ) but even 25 years ago there's is no way i could have even lifted an 80 lb boat, let alone carried one. My boat when I was at that age weighed something just under 50 lbs and I still struggled on anything longer than a couple of hundred meters. My current boat weighs something around 35 lbs and I still wouldn't be a very happy camper without my big fat yoke pads. The idea of all this is to enjoy yourself, no?? So, I'm thinking that a much lighter boat would let you do that (and let you go on enjoying yourself as the years go by..... ). Just a thought. :)

PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 8:18 am 

I must have missed the part earlier about an 80 pound canoe. While that weight is not excessive for a well positioned load riding on a young person's body with proper technique it sure can be a problem otherwise. But don't let it deter you from working out the details. Correct stance and carry are all important along with that balance. If I were the proud owner of said 80 lb canoe I would install those pads sk8r and others have discussed. In the event it just isn't working out then by all means retire the heavy canoe to easier gentler use, portage free or carry reduced trips. Perhaps another tripper in your group would help with the carry? A second lighter canoe in the family might be a blessing too.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 8:57 am 

I think the OP's plan was to toughen himself up/improve technique with his 80 pounder so that the 42lb'ers he's been renting and finding painful will seem easier.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 11:27 am 

I just looked up something that I wrote more than 10 years ago about this. It was in a discussion about tump lines or yokes for portaging. Here it is
"When I first started canoe tripping, I had an elderly next door neighbour. This man had spent most of his life in the north. He told me that I must have a tump for my canoe.

He bought me a very long leather strap that was wider in the middle. He wrapped it around the yoke in such a way to make a loop for the head. The ends were then strung up to the bow seat.
It takes some adjusting to get the length of the head loop right but I do all my portaging with it.

You lift the canoe in the normal manner and the loop flops down behind your head. After a while when the load starts to dig into your shoulders you duck your head slightly, reach up, grab the loop and put it on top of head. This lifts the yoke off your shoulders. There is instant relief. When you are tired of this, you flip the loop off and drop the yoke back on your shoulders.

The extra long ends are useful too. I usually hold one of these rather that the thwarts. While portaging in a high wind, you have much more control over the canoe. A small tug, easily brings the bow under control."

I might add as others have said "balance is the key".

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 6:26 am 

open_side_up wrote:
I think the OP's plan was to toughen himself up/improve technique with his 80 pounder so that the 42lb'ers he's been renting and finding painful will seem easier.

Thank you.