It is currently September 23rd, 2018, 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fixing gunwales paint
PostPosted: September 14th, 2018, 11:28 pm 

Hi there,

I have a Clipper Solitude with damaged gunwales. The paint peeled off and you can see the raw metal. Same with the bow plate (in fiberglass in think).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a5HHpKsun0EMshYFaFjNCb-g66paqKv6/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11hV7FkcPSdN1hcbJSvgayz8tqaQAYopf/view?usp=sharing

My understanding is that this has zero impact on the gunwales durability and that it is just a cosmetic issue. Can someone confirm this?

Also, to fix this, I just need to do a bit of sanding and repaint using an enamel paint. Can I use any paint or do I need to use some kind of "marine" paint?

Thx

T.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 8:48 am 

On the gunwales lightly sand. Mask off what you dont want painted then spray with primer let dry then apply your top coat of paint.
All the supplies are available at Can Tire. Tremclad works well.
Youtube is your friend here. Watch some autobody paint repair videos.
Good luck.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 11:28 pm 

Might also be worth a call to Clipper.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 9:46 am 

Tereva wrote:
I have a Clipper Solitude with damaged gunwales. The paint peeled off and you can see the raw metal. Same with the bow plate (in fiberglass in think).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a5HHpKsun0EMshYFaFjNCb-g66paqKv6/view?usp=sharing

My understanding is that this has zero impact on the gunwales durability and that it is just a cosmetic issue. Can someone confirm this?

Also, to fix this, I just need to do a bit of sanding and repaint using an enamel paint. Can I use any paint or do I need to use some kind of "marine" paint?

I’m still guessing that the aluminum gunwales were electroplated, not anodized or painted.

Yes, zero impact on aluminum gunwale durability. Well, maybe not “zero”; if you paddle a lot of salt or tidal waters you might eventually have corrosion issues. If the wear areas are not flakey sharp that might cut a finger or hand it is largely cosmetic.

The wear shown in the photos appears to make come in part from sliding the canoe on and off roof or storage racks. That wear would continue to be an issue with paint, +/- depending on how thick and tough the paint coat.

Enamel spray paint, even done in multiple coats, is not very thick. Multiple coats of brushed on enamel paint would be thicker (and present less of an overspray issue). And some 1 or 2 part epoxy paint probably be the most durable.

I would lightly sand the gunwales and use the appropriate primer, maybe a primer for aluminum, although I have no idea how well that primer works over electroplating.

If the gunwales were originally electroplated (Clipper should know) you might find useful painting information on some bicycle forum; a lot of bike frames were electroplated.

Some info on repainting electroplated gunwales on a Swift Otter here:

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/for ... er-rebuild

In the thread photos it looks like the 2nd coat of paint went on before the first had fully cured and the paint crazed. Even spray paints now recommend waiting 48 hours before recoating.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 6:12 pm 

Like everyone's said, mask off, prime, and 2 or more top coats of a flat enamel.
Your's look like transportation damage from being rubbed raw.

You can also have black gunnel covers installed though they come with a 2-3lb weight increase.

Clipper's gunnels are anodized.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 10:15 am 

Canoeheadted wrote:
Clipper's gunnels are anodized.

Clipper has used anodized gunwales for at least a decade. I have Clipper catalogs back to 2006 and the specs state anodized gunwales. What Clipper used in 1997 may have been different.

Looking in a 1997 catalog Mad River used powder coated aluminum gunwales at that time, so that is another possibility to add to the mix.

Or a previous owner painted the gunwales. I have never seen anodized gunwales flake off in that manner.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 1:02 pm 

I like Clipper’s gunwale covers. Adding them would be an option.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 8:57 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
I have never seen anodized gunwales flake off in that manner.

It does look like something banged on them and on top of that the canoe was lightly dragged on gravel (because why not : ) ).
Maybe this explains it.

I like the idea of gunwales cover, however I do not like the 2-3lbs additional weight part. Loading or unloading the canoe on top of the car by myself is not too much fun.

Cheers,

T.