It is currently January 15th, 2019, 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 8:47 pm 

We are planning a northern Quebec canoe trip. Just looked at regulations and they say that anything north of 52nd parallel requires an outfitter if you are a non resident. What have other folks done? Fishing will be amazing and the thought of not fishing will drive me insane.

Thanks

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 9:23 pm 

Depends where you are going....last summer on the lower George River during the salmon run the chopper was overhead and they were checking out at least a few people and also checking outfitters to make sure the rules were being followed.

The chances of encountering anyone on the more isolated rivers is slim to none especially if it's not during the salmon run or a river that doesn't have salmon.

If they have any interest at all it's mostly directed at the people who fly-in for a day or even a few hours of fishing during late August - September rather than somebody in a canoe taking the odd fish for eating.

I'm a complete hack when it comes to fishing but even for me fishing on the George is spectacular!

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 9:26 pm 

In Southern Quebec it's quite different, exclusive licenses are handed out to the ZEC's and they get real uppity if you fish their exclusive territory even with a standard Provincial fishing license.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 11:59 am 

Thanks. We are planning a De Pas/George trip and the amazing fishing is one of the attractions for me. Am thinking of contacting an outfitter for some legal salmon fishing when we get to the bottom end of the George. Might be picking your brain a bit as we get along in the planning.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2018, 3:18 pm 

Plenty of fish along the De Pas, there are a couple of abandoned camps along the way. Below Indian House and upstream from Helen Falls there are 3 outfitters, all are reasonably canoe friendly although they do prefer their paying customers.

I try to avoid repeat trips but even after 3 visits I'd go back anytime...it's that good!