It is currently March 20th, 2019, 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 20th, 2019, 8:33 am 

Thanks for all this information. I understand that most folks start at Hattie Cove and travel towards Michipicoten, due to the prevailing & often strong winds. The one thing I have plenty of is time. Has anyone traveled in the reverse direction? I'm thinking that paddling down and back could give me a longer trip, and save me a shuttle fee. [Or it might be safer by starting from Michipicoten & paddle towards Hattie Cove & back].

Cheers

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2019, 1:48 pm 

Sounds like a superior idea!

In the spirit of voyageurs.

And if the wind is strong you wouldn’t be going anywhere regardless of direction.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2019, 8:04 pm 

Would do the Bloodvien river again and Quetico is great too. A bit of a drive for both but as we have gotten older the drive becomes part of the trip instead of racing to the put ins. With more time off we have enjoyed more of Ontario after doing most of our earlier tripping which was mostly Temagami and south. Soon will do a longer trip into Wabakimi and that maybe a new favorite. What I have learned that Ontario, Canada, has so many trips and they all have been special. From discovering cottage country trips to many trips north of hwy 11 and 17.
Happy paddling

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: February 28th, 2019, 9:47 am 

Al Robinson wrote:
I also hope this subject doesn't encourage scores of paddlers to descend on the Superior coast and spoil the peace, tranquility and beauty found there.

This is the dilemma we all face as users of public social media, in a growth based civilization. I'm still planning my summer paddling, and that region is part of my planning. WW can't be too much for me and my dog. He only knows the dog paddle.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2019, 3:20 pm 

All of the places you mentioned have sweet spots that are a little extra special; I’ll mention a few.

After many trips in Killarney I finally got to Nellie Lake. Like the blurb on the map says it is still exceptionally clear -you can see bottom in 80 feet which feels weird but cool. The wildest thing is opening your eyes under water and being able to see forever.
it feels more isolated - should too it’s a tough portage and has high hills above it. Although the 3 sites were supposed to be booked I was alone and it’s a beautiful setting / gorgeous sites.

In Algonquin I love Big Trout Lake. It has so many very beautiful campsites, interesting features , and is one place I’ve had good luck fishing. Many island sites have great sunset views.

Temagami -starting out for the Sturgeon River we began on Montreal R and ran into Smoothwater L. It had this gorgeous crescent beach about a mile long facing the sunset and we all agreed it’d be an ideal place to spend an extra day or two.
The rest of the Sturgeon was well worth the effort, great scenery.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2019, 9:12 am 

I did a trip in Quetico area where we started on the Turtle River (near white otter) and went through the boundary waters into Lake Superior. The Boundary Waters are busier than I would have liked but that area is by far the most beautiful place I have ever tripped.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 11:45 am 

Puk is fantastic, although I have to admit, I have only done the interior as a backpacker, but scenery is great, wildlife was awesome (OK, not so much when the stalker bear showed up for two days but kept you on your toes). The sand river in LSPP is nice, load your gear up on the Agawa train, get dropped of and follow it to the cost, nice trip, again, great fishing and scenery.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey