It is currently April 20th, 2019, 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 6th, 2019, 6:47 pm 

Hi All. I'm training up another canoe dog, and running the full Missinaibi is still on my punch list (I did the upper half, exiting in Mattice in 2016). My understanding is that Canadian Rail will no longer carry crated dogs in baggage during the summer months. Is that information still current? Another idea I had would be to fly out (either with the boat, or rail shipping the boat out separately. I welcome thoughts and comments from the CCR "hive mind."

Thank you.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2019, 7:52 pm 

Ontario Northland allows pets, you can find the details on this page (scroll way down):

http://ontarionorthland.ca/en/regulations-and-terms

My paddling partner for that part of the world usually has a dog, it's been a non-issue as recently as 2017.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 6:22 am 

Thank you. A f/u question: If the dog is not a service animal, does your paddling partner run rivers with a kennel carrier, acquire one in Moosonee, or have one shipped into Moosonee? Cheers - Steve

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 8:57 am 

Just claim it is an emotional support animal - that's a big deal these days.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm 

You can always just turn around and paddle back upstream.

Alan

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 2:58 pm 

SteveBoal wrote:
Thank you. A f/u question: If the dog is not a service animal, does your paddling partner run rivers with a kennel carrier, acquire one in Moosonee, or have one shipped into Moosonee? Cheers - Steve

I've requested the dog to reply to this question.....I think he took a cage once but used an ONR provided one the other times.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2019, 5:33 pm 

Could be Ruff.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2019, 1:09 pm 

Hello Steve,

The last time I took the train out of Moosonee was early fall of 2016 (paddled Harricana River). They have crates on the train you can use. Also in 2016, we took the train out of Moosonee after paddling the Nettogami River in early June. Again, I used a crate already on the train.

I paddled the Upper Missinaibi years ago and took the train to Peterbell Marsh. This proved a pain in the butt because I had to buy my own crate to get my dog to the put in. At the put in the conductor unloaded my crate and I left it there...yes I know...anything but ideal. First crates are expensive especially for a one time use. Second I felt awful for leaving metal at the side of the tracks.

So unfortunately as for me being helpful, I'm not really since both times in 2016 involved taking the train out in the spring and fall. Maybe I would have run into problems had it been in the summer...

There is a chance I will be taking the train out of Moosonee early June of this year. I will have a dog with me and will ask about summer policy. Not much help to you for early planning.

I've taken my dog out of Moosonee 3 times now, twice in the spring and once in the fall. I've never had any problems and there has always been a crate for me to use.

What I do know is that if it were me, I would take my dog with me. I would not buy a crate. I would definitely not paddle with a crate in my canoe either. If you take the train to Peterbell, you will have to buy a crate as far as I know and leave it at the put in. If your somewhat good with wood work, I would build a crate and burn it after being dropped off. There is a very slight chance of me doing the exact route you have mentioned this summer. If I do it, I will bring a crate for the drop off and then just deal with things in Moosonee, they will have to accommodate me somehow since my dog will be coming home with me on the train one way or another.

Sorry not much help really.

Sam