View topic - Route recommendation: small lakes and lots of portages?

It is currently February 23rd, 2019, 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 15th, 2019, 9:17 pm 

This might seem like an unusual request but I am looking for a route that has small lakes and multiple portages.

I want to take my dog on a solo trip and because she is very intense/energetic I don't want to keep her in the boat for too long a stretch (not more than 45-60 mins at a time)

So I don't mind if the portages are long or difficult - it would take the edge of her for the canoe portions.

It can be either Killarney, Algonquin or Temagami (or other if you like but no further from GTA than those).

Am looking at a 3-5 day trip.

Any suggestions???

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 7:52 am 

The west side of Algonquin . Enter at any of several points, through Kearney or in the South River area.

Lakes and portages are plentiful.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 8:49 am 

chicopeesnowshoe wrote:
The west side of Algonquin . Enter at any of several points, through Kearney or in the South River area.

Lakes and portages are plentiful.

Thanks I was thinking of that. I've hiked the Western Uplands Trail many times and have always entered via Rain Lake Access not far from Kearney.. It would be a familiar area to me and would love to see it from a different vantage point (canoe vs foot)

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 9:33 am 

Rain to Moccasin and Misty and up the Petawawa to Daisy and back to Rain would be a nice trip with plenty of portages ( most are not too long .. three are over a km). Extend for five days..

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 11:46 am 
CCR Site Administrator

Frontenac Park is a beautiful hiking/canoeing park....& is probably about the same distance as Algonquin. It is full of small lakes & many portages, in addition to many lovely hikes. You could make numerous routes here & your energetic dog could often run on a portage or even do a small hike. I personally have not canoed there - only hiked, because I don't like many small lakes & many portages! LOL :lol:

There are many links to information on Frontenac ... here is one where you can see the many portages: https://www.frontenacpark.ca/maps

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 9:18 pm 

marscanoe wrote:
Frontenac Park is a beautiful hiking/canoeing park....& is probably about the same distance as Algonquin. It is full of small lakes & many portages, in addition to many lovely hikes. You could make numerous routes here & your energetic dog could often run on a portage or even do a small hike. I personally have not canoed there - only hiked, because I don't like many small lakes & many portages! LOL :lol:

There are many links to information on Frontenac ... here is one where you can see the many portages: https://www.frontenacpark.ca/maps

I quite forgot about Frontenac.. Thanks for reminding me. How busy is that park. I've never been - seems like it would be crowded???

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 7:50 am 

Frontenac can get quite busy in the summer so book well in advance and camp sites are grouped together. There are plenty of portages though and has decent fishing opportunities. I've always said that it is more of a hiking park - though it sounds like that is what you are after!

rab

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 8:54 am 

Yes, Frontenac would be good as well. I'm not sure that it would appear crowded even if all the sites are booked. Sites are situated in groups of three or four, not scattered around like Algonquin. Also, the park provides bear boxes for holding food.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2019, 10:21 am 

Algonquin portages in July-August could get crowded enough that an energetic dog will have to be kept on short leash more often than not. Free roaming dogs do not belong on busy portage landings. Gervais access in Temagami, taking the Sturgeon south, then east towards Solace and back by Regan and Scarecrow might fit the bill. Very little traffic for sure, but much further drive. It was discussed recently on this forum.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2019, 9:57 pm 

Eddy Turn wrote:
Algonquin portages in July-August could get crowded enough that an energetic dog will have to be kept on short leash more often than not. Free roaming dogs do not belong on busy portage landings. Gervais access in Temagami, taking the Sturgeon south, then east towards Solace and back by Regan and Scarecrow might fit the bill. Very little traffic for sure, but much further drive. It was discussed recently on this forum.

Great advice I don't mind driving to a little further to avoid crowds. If I do algonquin I would probably do September. But I would like to do a trip in the summer so maybe Temagami.

Does Sturgeon have rapids - I don't feel comfortable paddling rapids solo esp with the dog!

PostPosted: January 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm 

the Sturgeon has plenty of rapids, but not on the stretch you'd be padling. It will start with couple of short straight-through class 1 and there's one narrow further down with swift current for 5-10 meters, that's it. On the return trip there might be a c1 above the take-out. You will find detailed maps in the atlas on ottertooth.com

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 11:12 am 

Eddy Turn wrote:
the Sturgeon has plenty of rapids, but not on the stretch you'd be padling. It will start with couple of short straight-through class 1 and there's one narrow further down with swift current for 5-10 meters, that's it. On the return trip there might be a c1 above the take-out. You will find detailed maps in the atlas on ottertooth.com

Thanks will check them out.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 2:55 pm 

Check out the magnetawaun and noganosh area. See the map that is a couple posts below this post under the heading an early Christmas present. Lots of small lakes and ports but no fees or reservations and you have the freedom to travel as you please. Lots of good fishing too.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 4:05 pm 

Bill P wrote:
Check out the magnetawaun and noganosh area. See the map that is a couple posts below this post under the heading an early Christmas present. Lots of small lakes and ports but no fees or reservations and you have the freedom to travel as you please. Lots of good fishing too.

"The Mag" is another interesting suggestion. A friend of mine has a family cottage there and I've been bugging him to do a route in the area.... fairly close too.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2019, 11:02 pm 

A good option in Algonquin could be starting at Source or Cache, and going up to Linda then down through Hilliard/Delano to Phipps/Kirkwood and back up through Head.

You'll have a couple 45min paddles, but only a few.

Even in the summer, the small loop around Linda isn't popular (relatively speaking), and same with the route down from Hilliard to Phipps. Between the whole trip you can choose lakes that either guarantee an island site, or the only site on the lake... both which have their advantages if you're bringing a dog.

And you'll always have seclusion while being somewhat close to the Hwy in case of emergency (I might be wrong but you made it sound like this would be a first solo trip with the dog)